Hummingbird Moth

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I saw this Snowberry Clearwing moth at the local botanic gardens recently. I liked the red flower it chose to feed on in this shot.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 70-200 f2.8L IS II, 1.4x extender II
ISO 2500, f8, 1/1250s, hand held

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop.

Very nice job, Allen. Good depth of field and the slightly blurred wings work well.

That is an amazing capture because those things are fast. The background looks great.

Really wonderful and attention grabbing. I saw one of these guys on the phlox this summer, but I didn’t have the patience to wait around for it. Maybe I need to work on that. :laughing:

Great sharpness where needed - I especially like the little features you’ve caught here like the feet, the antenna & the floofy tail (?). Marvelous. One suggestion that might improve things would be to take the saturation down a tiny bit in the flowers. The red channel looks a bit over-saturated. That background is awesome though.

Allen, I was out of town for a few days, so just getting around to viewing images on NPN.

Very nicely done. I like how you caught it down into the flower feeding. Just enough of the eye showing. Such wonderful details in him. I haven’t seen one all summer. So glad you are getting to photograph them. They really are fast, and you nailed it good.