Hummingbird Moth (Snowberry Clearwing)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I found this moth hitting the lantana at the local botanic gardens.

Specific Feedback

Any

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 70-200mm f2.8L IS II, 1.4x extender III
ISO 2500, f8, 1/3200s, hand held

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop

3 Likes

Wonderful detail on the moth and very interesting how it stands out from the OOF flower. The light BG may be contributing to that effect.

The relatively hard edge of the top flowers stands out. I would consider some local blurring there.

They almost look part bumblebee and part hummer don’t they? A wonderful shot, and I like the angle of it. Really shows off its body. Haven’t seen one up this close, so thank you for posting and sharing this beautiful image.

Allen, what a great find this is! The top view offers viewers a beautiful impression through the moth’s wings. The level of detail is impressive.

Allen, you’ve got excellent details in the moth against a nicely colorful background.

Allen, I am still trying to catch up where I was out of town for a few days. These guys are fast. I think that might be why they picked up the name “Hummingbird” Moth. Wonderful details in his body, and I love how the oof flowers show through the wings. Neat.

Allen: When I see shots like this that our modern technology allows I almost lose all my nostalgia for the film days. Really good decisions on SS, ISO, f Stop and superb camera handling to get the angle right. Just a marvelously crafted image. >=)>