Hummingbird Moth (Snowberry Clearwing)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

Found this Snowberry Clearwing Moth yesterday at a community gardens. I find them difficult to photograph well. I do like this head on view though as s/he hovered over the flower.

Specific Feedback

Any.

Technical Details

Canon 90D, 70-200L IS II, 1.4x extender II
ISO 2500, f16, 1/3200s, hand held

Processed in DXO Pure Raw 3 and Photoshop

2 Likes

Oh, how fantastic, Allen! I don’t think I have seen a face on shot of a Hummingbird Moth. Tact sharp, and on a beautiful flower with a lovely smooth BG! This is really nit picking, but the tiny bit of yellow on the bottom border, if you were to crop/remove, it might improve this image even the more. Just a fantastic shot. He must not have seen you to come right at you like that.

Good look at this moth; I’ve never gotten a head-on shot. Its wings and antennae are almost in the same plane! A really good display of its clear wings. Well done.

Lovely shot - I like how we can see all the legs clearly too.

Pretty cool shot Allen. Both flower and insect are nice and sharp and the symmetrical presents works well here…Jim

Love the head on capture Allen! Perfectly positioned with the flower too.

Allen this head on view looks very good. You’ve also got good details in the flower. The symmetry fits well with the centered view.