Hungry Coyote

I couldn’t help but get the feeling that this coyote was a bit desperate. It was limping, the back half of its coat didn’t look great (perhaps mange was kicking in?), and it was willing to wade out into the spring current of Soda Butte Creek to check out this protruding branch. It likely was hoping for a submerged carcass. This was photographed in Yellowstone during my spring tour this year.

Canon R6
Canon 100-500mm
ISO 400
1/1600th
f/7.1

Max

@maxwaughphoto

Max, a good look at a wet, hungry coyote. Yesterday near Pebble Creek, we say a coyote limping along the road. Since it’s six months later, I doubt it was the same coyote, but the one we saw was having a problem with it’s right rear leg.

Following coyotes in Yellowstone seems to always yield interesting behavior and this shot certainly captures that. Certainly an interesting setting with the river. On my monitor the whites do seem a tad hot so perhaps a bit more toning down of the highlights (especially in the neck area) would help.

1 Like

Interesting behavior and beautiful frame, it may benefit from more canvas around it. Like @DvirBarkay suggested you may burn some fur around neck area.

PS. I would like to know your opinion about RF 100-500 mm lens . I’ve been able to use it on one trip only.

1 Like

I would like to know your opinion about RF 100-500 mm lens .

Jagdeep, so far it’s worked okay. On my first outing, photographing some distant owls in flight last year, I was concerned because everything at 500mm came out soft. Since then I haven’t studied the results of every image too closely, but haven’t really felt that the lens is letting me down in that regard a great deal. Of course a zoom lens won’t be as sharp at 500, but I didn’t feel it was a major problem as it was during that first session… which was probably hindered by distance and possible heat distortion.

I’ve had more concerns about the noise on the bodies more than anything, and am really looking forward to getting my hands on an R3 to see if that issue has been resolved to my liking.