I am special

One of many reasons I love trees is that many, even most, live much longer than humans…unless humans alter their lives. This Red Oak, probably at least 300-years old, could live another century or two but it is now an “endangered species.” A grove of these magnificent trees grow near a public school in Central Michigan. When the “budget belt” got tight a couple years ago, the Board voted to have them all logged out to balance the bottom line±the trees had been marked in red to be cut. This is a resource that allows kids to walk out the classroom door and study an ecosystem that exists nowhere else in a hundred miles. Fortunately a group of us, including students, rallied public support and argued the real value of these trees was far in excess of their timber’ the blue “NO!” markings were to indicate the trees to be spared. I realize this tree is not “fallen” yet, but hope we can include it to honor the many others that have fallen and will continue to for insane reasons.

Specific Feedback Requested

any and all

Technical Details

Pentax K-7, 1/15, f/4.0, 50mm, ISO200

3 Likes

If I may, here is one more showing the size of one of the trees and one of the tree huggers who helped save the grove.

o

4 Likes