A special tree indeed!

Description: This Black Oak is probably 300-400 years old. It grows near a large high school in central Michigan where it was marked to be logged. Why? To make up for a budget shortfall. At the last minute a group of us rallied support for the trees and got the 1/2A site designated as a school science study area. The shortfall was made up in some other way. I know this may be an atypical images to share but I find photographs so useful in telling stories and this is a good one.

Specific Feedback Requested: any and all

Pertinent technical details or techniques: iPhone with minor adjustments

Is this a composite? (focus stacks or exposure blends are not considered composites) No a single image

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.

stilllearningtosee

1 Like

Wish we could do this to more trees before they go, John! I hope the paint wears off, but I can see the necessity for it, as the red was already there. A very interesting story - and the twin trunks are cool too!

Thanks, Mike. Eventually the paint will wear off—maybe another couple hundred years! Are there ancient trees where you live?

There are many forests in Korea, @JohnSnell, mostly planted not more than 60 years ago to recover from the Korean War. But in a surprising number of villages you find a large and ancient Zelkova (a kind of elm) which has been sat under and preserved for centuries. I hope to get a proper shot of one some time. Of course far too many trees are also given short shrift for standing in someone’s way, like yours almost was.