I caught a fish of this size

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The reward for getting up early and drive to wetland and be there when it wakes up is great. I know a place where there are a lot of red throated loon and in the morning thet flex their wings and fly between the natural ponds and nearby lakes for fishing. A great place to be!

Specific Feedback

All feedback is welcome!

Technical Details

Nikon D850 + Sigma 150-600 C (@600 mm,ISO 1600, f/6.3 and 1/1600 sec)

I love the wing spread, John, and the nice low angle you got. Zooming out a bit to get the reflection would also make an interesting shot. To my eye,it looks as if the focus is on the breast You might try narrowing down your focus area and seeing if you can nail the face the next time you’re out there. Loons are a favorite of mine and I’d have to go to Alaska to get one of these.

1 Like

Hi Johan! I really enjoy this shot! The wingspread (and your title) and the expressive face. I agree with Dennis about the focus point, but you might be able to add a bit of sharpening to the face. The reflection would be a nice add but that might take away the story of your title, which I enjoy.

1 Like

Gret pose you caught Johan. Love the extended wings. At this small of an image size, it’s hard for me to comment on critical focus areas. I also like the slight head turn. Nice capture.

1 Like

Hi Johan, :slight_smile:

I love the title, it is a very fitting description of the story the Loon is telling, especially with the head tilt and expression!
The expression is one of confusion… as if wondering: Why is everyone laughing after I said that the fish was “THIS BIG!” :confused: :question: :thinking:

I just love images like this, images that tell a humorous story that we can relate to as humans.

I really like the brighter area of the water just under and behind the wings, that really does a nice job of highlighting the wing spread.
I also really like the overall exposure and the details on the Loon.

It’s a very fun and artistic image that I appreciate and enjoy!!
I could see this easily becoming a “Fisherman’s Humor” greeting card!!

Thank you for sharing it with us, Johan! It put a big smile on my face! :smiley:

1 Like

I too love the title, and the expression on the bird’s face.

thanks a lot for the feedback. This image is cropped so in the original the reflection is there in full so I will have look at the cropping again. My thinking about the tight crop was the story of the bird telling us about the size of the fish it just caught…

thanks for your comment Steve! I will try to do as you suggest and sharpen the face a little and see how that turns out!

thanks a lot for your comment Allen! Maybe I made it a bit small when I uploaded it…

thanks a lot Mervin I am happy you enjoyed the image!

1 Like

thanks a lot for your feedback Shirley!

1 Like

I love this!! All said above! Congrats on the well-deserved EP!!