Icy twig

We’re having cold, frosty weather. There was an icy tree twig hanging in front of a very bright reflection that was about 30 feet from it. It took several shots to get this one. There was some wind and clouds that kept changing the location of twig and brightness of reflection.

Specific Feedback Requested

Any comments.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
7D II; iso 400; 5.6; 100/400

3 Likes

Very cool! Wonderful detail in the icy twig and a unique reflection – it could pass for the sun or moon. I love the double effect.

I’m usually not a fan of negative space but I love your framing here. What would you think about cloning over or at least darkening the OOF area at the top edge?

Jim, when I first saw the thumbnail of this, I did think it was the moon behind the twig, and I wondered how you managed to capture it so well. Very cool is right. I am glad you kept at it till you got this shot. Probably wasn’t easy with the wind.

I thought it was the moon, too. So pale and luminous. I do like negative space generally, and you’ve used it well here. Emphasizes the nighttime aspect very well (and the moony aspect, even if it isn’t). I like the details you caught in the branch and the water drops are a great add. Well done!

Jim: I might be tempted to make the upper branch go away and just leave the single twig entering the reflection. Really well seen and very nicely captured. >=))>

@Diane_Miller If I understand you correctly I have cropped that area in this one.

@Bill_Fach Is this what you meant?

1 Like

@Shirley_Freeman Thank you.
@Kris_Smith The water drops are frozen. Thank you.
Thank you to all for taking time to comment.

1 Like

Yes, either one of these last two works for me, to keep my eyes in the lovely frame.

Jim, this is well seen and presented. My immediate reaction was to say to myself, “It was a dark and stormy night” Positioning yourself to get the bright oof light behind the cluster of prickly twigs and frozen drops was a great idea. The negative space is nice.

Right on the money and I do think it works better for me. :+1: :+1:>=))>

1 Like

@Mark_Seaver Thank you for the nice comments.