I'm Outta Here!

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

I only had a split second to make this shot as he went off the log like he’d been stuck with a cattle prod. Do you get that same initial reaction?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Image Description

When I shot i this area pre-hurricane (but really, anytime), we shot from a slow moving boat, keeping a fair distance away so as not to startle the wildlife. This big old gator (about a 10 footer), decided the time to leave was NOW.

Technical Details

D500 Nikon 200-500 @ 340mm, f/5.6, 1/1600, ISO 800

Other than some sharpening, in either ACR or PS, I did very little editing.

Specific Feedback

Does this image give you a bit of a gut check?

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Nice image of this gator. Having been around them a long time, I find they always take off quickly when they decide to go. Excellent capture, especially if you had only a split second to take the shot. Ideally, a lot more room in the front would be good, but this is great as is.

I could probably add room to the left but then it gets to be a bit disproportional to the overall scene.

Gators do dive quickly (and usually long before you get close enough for a good photo). You did well getting a clean look at its eye and the splashing action. I think your comp. is fine, with the gator filling the frame.

Great splash as the gator takes the plunge Chris. I like the light and the nice freeze frame action to catch the water drops.

1 Like