Incoming!

Critique Style Requested: Initial Reaction

Please share your immediate response to the image before reading the photographer’s intent (obscured text below) or other comments. The photographer seeks a genuinely unbiased first impression.

Questions to guide your feedback

First reaction?

Other Information

Please leave your feedback before viewing the blurred information below, once you have replied, click to reveal the text and see if your assessment aligns with the photographer. Remember, this if for their benefit to learn what your unbiased reaction is.

Technical Details

D500, 200-500 @ 350mm, f/5.6, 1/2500, ISO 320

Gave a little pop to the blue sky and sharpened by about 15% w/NIK’s sharpening tool.

Specific Feedback

There is both awe and empathy when watching an Osprey launching because you can see and feel the power as well as feel for whatever he has his eyes set upon. They are most formidable birds of prey.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Nice action shot here Chris. Your timing was great, and your focus was right on to get the eye and the bird in good focus. The slightly blurred back wing gives this a sense of motion along with the dynamic jump. I also like the branches in this. The sky looks normal. You might want to do just a bit of edge control with the little tiny stick in the ULC (not the vertical, just the tiny extra piece).

Good eye, Ed. Not sure how I missed that but will definitely fix.

Charter member of nit pickers anonymous. . . .

Chris, this is a fine catch of this Osprey taking off. The size of the claws is striking.

Thanks Mark, on both image comments. This old boy of a gator was fast, fast, fast giving us in the boat a bit of a freak out as he glided effortlessly under us.
and went about his business.
I’ve seen the claws of an Osprey lift a 8 lb Menhaden on a snatch and run out of the Gulf of Mexico with just barely a double clutch on the wing action. Powerful birds!