Image Turning Purple

I am experiencing an image I’ve posted here with a lot of blue in the frame that turns purple. I am on a mac using photoshop 2023, 24.6.0 Release to create the jpeg to post here. Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thanks.

Hi Dave,

The photograph of the mink you recently uploaded was posted in the ProPhoto color space.

For optimal and consistent image display across all web browsers, converting images to the sRGB color space is required before posting. The rationale behind this is that sRGB has been universally adopted as the default color space by most devices and web browsers. Hence, using sRGB ensures your images appear as intended to all viewers.

To assist you, I’ve included brief instructions below on how to convert the color space in both Adobe Lightroom and Photoshop:

In Adobe Lightroom:

1. Go to the “File” menu and choose “Export”.
  2. In the Export dialog box, locate the “File Settings” section.
  3. In the “Color Space” dropdown menu, select “sRGB”.
  4. Continue with your usual export settings and click “Export”.

In Adobe Photoshop:

1. Go to the “Edit” menu and select “Convert to Profile”.
  2. In the “Destination Space” section, choose “sRGB IEC61966-2.1” from the dropdown menu.
  3. Click “OK”.

Note that this conversion should be the final step before uploading your photo to the web. If you intend to continue editing, ensure you remain in your working color space (like ProPhoto) to maintain the maximum range of colors.

Please feel free to reach out if you need any further assistance.

1 Like

Hi Dave,

David done a great job of describing the procedure, I just wanted to add a visual for the Export As window in Ps.

Great image, BTW! :slight_smile:

I selected another image with lot of blue in it to export as you recommend here and it still goes to purple on the other end of the send. Thanks for your suggestion. I’m still in the “head scratching” mode.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Just so you’ll be aware, unless @David_Kingham is “Watching” this thread, he won’t know about your latest comment unless you either quote part of his comment, use the reply icon in his comment, or use the @ symbol followed by his name (as shown above).
I’m not sure how the email reply system works because I’ve never used it.
He knows now because I just alerted him by the @ symbol.

BTW, David knows far more than I do about these situations, so hopefully he can help figure it out. I just wanted to add the screenshot for a visual reference.

Just a note: I use the ProPhoto color space myself and I always use the convert to sRGB in the Export As window, I have noticed at times that the Preview of the image on that Export As window looks different (different colors) when I check the convert to sRGB box, but the actual saved image matches the image in Ps.
It’s a strange situation for sure.

Dave, if I understand your point, is it a browser item maybe?..I use to have fits with Firefox as every update they did knocked the color management settings to a default every time. Even using sRGB export once viewed with the browser it stunk. Mozella has resolved the issue of losing the settings.

1 Like

David-

I took these steps and it did the trick. My blues stay blue now when I send jpegs. THANKS SO MUCH!

3 Likes