Images

Well, that was an eye-opener. I know I’ve been busy setting up the business side of things this year, but it’s still surprising how little time I’ve spent outside with my camera. 10 images over 5 days…Yikes!!

Specific Feedback Requested

As usual, all comments are welcome and appreciated.

Technical Details

2 Likes

Andre, this is an excellent collection of small scenes that all show a fine artistic vision. After spending some time viewing, I will say that my particular favorite is “Frangipanni Skies” largely because it captures the joyful feeling of a beautiful spring day beautifully.

Thanks for the feedback Mark. Good to know which one was your fav and why.

Andre, a great set of images you show here! I like them a lot. I also like a lot the variation in your images regarding subjects, scale and techniques.

Thanks for the comments Ola.

Very nice collection Andre. You have a good eye for small scenes and your use of color is good. Frangipani Skies is lovely, it expresses the tree/bush so well. Also like Hills and Valleys. In the first image of tree bark, (sorry I am using my phone and don’t know how to ref back to images for title without losing my comment), I would suggest reducing the amount of out of focus area on the left with a crop, that would then shift the in focus part to left a bit to get it out of dead center and place more emphasis on it. Just a thought, I love the colors in that one!

Thanks for the feedback Brenda. The one with the tree bark is called Stumped, one because it reminds me of cricket stumps and two because it had me stumped regarding the crop. I find the left side doesn’t have that much to offer, except that I actually prefer the equal spacing and positions of the trees. The fact that it is so out of focus and has that bright spot at the top was bothersome. I like your idea of cropping out some more from the left, but after sitting on it for a bit it still seems off to me. I’ll keep a version in LR. Who knows maybe it will grow on me in a week’s time. I want to try focus-stacking it handheld next time. I couldn’t use my tripod since it was in an awkward position.

I really like how your titles add to our experience of your images. The last one is fascinating, and I wonder: “Is it seaweed on rocks?” Perhaps it’s better not to analyze it and just enjoy the impact.

Thanks for the comments, Mike. The last image is called Electric. I was going to call it Electric Wave but I felt like that was too much of a giveaway. The secrets are out now though :slight_smile: It looks like I did a lot of crazy post-processing but it’s mostly just done in camera. A long shutter speed, a nice wave, and a dark exposure from the ND filter. I brought up the tones on the top right to hint at the water and tidied up a few bright spots.

1 Like

That’s fascinating - thanks for letting out the secrets, @AndreDonawa!

1 Like

Andre,

Wonderful set of images! What comes across clear is your abilities to capture such diverse subjects and capture and present them so beautifully! Great work.

I too am partial to “Frangipanni Skies” for same reasons others have mentioned. Colors and luminosity are beautiful. I do have a question. While the title and appearance suggest a blue sky, I can’t place all the little white dots and streaks? It suggests a body of water? Maybe I’m over thinking this. But regardless, it does not change the impact or beauty. Love it.

Also really enjoyed the abstracts - both the water abstract and the ICM’s. I can now see the “wave” in the last image after the brief reveal… :slight_smile:

I also wanted to tell you that I’m so glad you joined the community this year. You’ve been engaged, contributed and of course your images are outstanding. I’m sure I speak for others!

Lon

Thanks for the comments Lon. I’m enjoying my time with everyone in the community and looking forward to exploring all the other areas of the site. Yes, those are drops of rain in Frangipani Skies.

These are all wonderful images, Andre! You obviously have a very artistic eye and some excellent technical skills to bring your visions to fruition. I particularly like “Hills and Valleys” because it’s an excellent micro landscape that looks like a very large landscape at first glance. The reality becomes more obvious in the larger version where you can see the details more clearly. All are very well done. Congratulations on a great year! :clap: :+1: