My Top Ten Favorite Landscapes of 2019

Well, I waited until the last day of the year, but here are my top ten favorite landscape images posted at NPN during 2019. I made more of an effort this year to branch out into intimate small scenes, and felt like I made some progress in this area. I found that shooting along the shoreline of the ocean was an especially productive location to find intimate scenes. I also continued to shoot grand landscapes during golden hour when I had the opportunity. My most memorable sunrise of the year was taken in June 2019 in the White Mountains of New Hampshire when lenticular clouds formed over a field of lupines. My most memorable sunset was taken in Acadia national park in August. In the space of an hour, my shooting location went from pea soup thick fog to one of the most dramatic sunsets that I have seen in a long time.

All ten of my favorite images are from New England, and interestingly, not one of them is of peak autumn foliage, the most well known photographic subject of the region. Over the past few years I have made a concerted effort to expand my portfolio of New England images by concentrating on lesser known and underappreciated subjects.

Spring Foliage in Fog - Kancamagus Pass New Hampshire

Lupines and Lenticular Clouds - New Hampshire

Mountain Laurel in Fog Massachusetts

Sunset - Acadia National Park, Maine

Wildlife Pond in Autumn - Crawford Notch NH

Stick Season Tamarack Reflection - New Hampshire

Acadia Ground Cover

Boggy Spring Mosaic of Winterberry Leaves - Massachusetts

Ice Abstract - The Fallen Goblet Massachusetts

Tide Pool Intimate - Rhode Island

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
3 Likes

Ed, a fine collection of great colors and shapes. The detailed looks at the ground cover, the foggy mountain laurel, and the lupines with colored clouds appeal to me strongly.

Wonderful collection, with quite a variety from macro to abstract to intimate landscape. Superbly rendered in post—the colors are so natural. My favorite is the last one of the sunset.
Certainly a year to be proud of!

Wonderful selection of landscape scenes, Ed. They would all be my favorites too, if I had taken them. Love that sunset! Thank you for sharing, and I hope 2020 provides even more opportunities.

Excellent collection of landscapes, from grand to intimate, Ed! They are all beautiful images but my favorite two are “Stick Season Tamarack Reflection” and “Ice Abstract”.

Ed, a stunning collection of images. They’re all eye catching with regard to color and clarity. I could not find just one fav out of the listed scenes, all are wonderful… :+1: :+1:

All are excellent but Lupines and wildlife pond stand out for me.

Great set of images, Ed. I especially love the diversity of subject matter. I think “Ice Abstract” is my favorite if I had to pick one.
:vulcan_salute:

@Jim_Gavin @Michael_Lowe @Paul_Breitkreuz @Shirley_Freeman @Gary_Minish @Kathy_Barnhart @Mark_Seaver

Thank you all for your very kind comments, I’m glad that you enjoyed them. I had a hard time narrowing 2019 down to ten favorites. But when everyone mentions different images as their favorites, then I know that I did a reasonable job narrowing it down to this group.

1 Like

I still remember your “Mountain Laurel”, Ed. What an awesome image. I also love the “Ice Abstract”. What a fruitful 2019. I think you have achieved your goal to shoot more intimate scenes and you have done it very successfully!

Thanks Adhika glad you enjoyed it. In 2015 I did a trip to Redwoods NP in northern California to shoot redwoods during the rhododendron bloom. This mountain laurel image sort of reminds me of the experience of shooting the foggy redwood forests along the California coast, albeit with much smaller trees :grin:.

An excellent collection. It must have been hard to winnow the choices down, as you have posted a lot of really fine work over the year. The ice and the tide pool are probably my favorites from this group, but it is hard to choose.

Ed, definitely a diverse and beautiful collection! I have to agree with @Adhika_Lie and say my favorites are also “Mountain Laurel” and “Ice Abstract”. Picking only 10 is a huge challenge, and this is from only your New England work! Not a waterfall in the bunch? Having visited your website I see many others from your trips that could also be candidates.
Happy New Year!

What a fantastic collection of photos, Ed! The tree photos are so well done in terms of balancing the ability to make an impact while still conveying a subtle grace. The ice abstract is superb - I absolutely love it. The ground cover and tide pool photos are fantastic too. Really wonderful work. Happy New Year!

We have such talent here! Gorgeous collection of images Ed - I have enjoyed all of them. And if you’ve made a conscious effort towards the more intimate… Congrats! Because you certainly excelled in this area in 2019. The “Ice Abstract” image is phenomenal as are the other smaller, intimate scenes. The medium and grand landscape images are all wonderful as well.

And a special thanks and kudos to you for your outstanding critiques. You contribute greatly to the community and I for one, appreciate you involvement and help to the members. Thank you!

1 Like

@Harley_Goldman @Alan_Kreyger @Sarah_Marino @Lon_Overacker thanks to you all for your comments on my images, I appreciate your thoughts and input.

@Lon_Overacker, I especially appreciate your kind words on my involvement in the NPN community. Thank you, that’s high praise coming from someone who is as dedicated and giving to the NPN community as you are. Thank you for all that you have given to NPN in the past year :+1: :+1: :+1:

1 Like

Ed,
Sorry I am late to the party, I missed your post somehow. Your favorites collection of images is quite diverse and a visual treat for the rest of us. The first thing that jumped out at me was how well you handled the stick season and hove piqued my interest enough to give it a try. I only hope I can do as well as you. It is hard to pick a couple of favorites, but I am partial to the Lupines and Lenticular Clouds because I was there to enjoy it with you and Ice Abstract which is simply mesmerizing with the graceful lines. I hope you had a wonderful holiday and that 2020 is another banner year for your photography.

Wow Ed, what a collection of photos from this year. They are all great, and especially impactful when viewed together.