2020 Favorite Images - Not Bad Considering

“Whatever happens, don’t ever go to 2020 !!!”
Marty McFly

I didn’t take Marty’s advice, and here are my 10 favorite images from 2020. It wasn’t always easy photographing nature this year. But it was not bad considering all that went on…

Most of these were posted at NPN, but some were not. Some are here because I think they are strong images, and others because they mean something special to me. My inability to travel outside of New England this year steered my images away from grand landscapes, and more towards intimate scenes. And in hindsight that was a good thing…

And I’d like to thank @David_Kingham, the moderators, and all the members of the community who helped make NPN someplace that was a welcome relief from the harsh realities of 2020. Seeing everyone’s images from faraway places allows me to travel there in my mind, even if I can’t physically go there now. And that is worth a lot…

Here are my top 10 from 2020, in order of earliest to latest in the year

“Cold Fusion” ice abstract

“Frozen Flume” a cold but almost snowless winter finally allowed me to get both flowing water and icicles in The Flume gorge, after many winters of trying.

“Cliffs of Gold” - after this sunrise on the coast of Maine on 03/08/20, I ate a meal in a restaurant for the last time in 2020.

“April Surprise” a rare late April snowstorm allowed me to combine snow and spring foliage for the first time ever.

“Natures First Green is Gold” spring in the Berkshires

“Summer Fantasy”

“Early Autumn Color” autumn came 2 weeks early this year ( taken 09/26/20)

“Play Misty For Me”

“Quabbin Morning” Backlit images are underrepresented in my portfolio. Doing more backlight was a goal for me in autumn 2020. Here is one of my better attempts

“Fire and Ice” autumn ended with a pleasant surprise, a record 5 inches of snow in Massachusetts on 10/30/20. This was the first time in 11 years we’ve had snow in October, and luckily there were still some maple trees left in full fall color.

Nice combo from small to grand landscapes. I like your first one the best if I had to corner myself into picking a single favorite…Jim

Stunning portfolio Ed. Hard to choose which is my favorite, but I love the abstract ice “Cold Fusion” and the “Cliffs of Gold.” Truly amazing images.

An excellent collection of high quality favorite images, Ed! They are all beautiful but I have two favorites. One is “Cold Fusion” because I love these type of ice abstracts and this is one of the better ones I’ve seen. There are lots of fascinating textures and shapes to look at plus your composition is excellent! The other one is “Quabbin Morning”. The mood, atmosphere, lighting, fog and details are all superb and your composition is perfect for this scene. Very nice collection! :+1:

What a fine year it has been for you … and for us to be able to see these.
At April Surprise, I almost stopped scrolling down, as I figured nothing could jazz me more than that. But then came Summer Fantasy. Those two had spirit that talked to me a lot.

Very nice collection, I would frame “Early Autumn Color”.

It’s great to see this familiar images a second time around. There are so many good ones that it’s hard to pick out favorites.

And the envelope, please …

#1 goes to … Cold Fusion

#2 goes to … Early Autumn Color

and #3 goes to … Fire and Ice

Beautiful collection Ed!

I totally agree!

Stunning collection of work Ed! Before I get to my favorites I want to thank you for your constructive comments and reworks. You have given me valuable lessons that I will forever take with me on my ongoing photographic journey. Now for my 3 favorites:

1 Cold Fusion
2 April Surprise
3 Fire and Ice

1 Like

It looks like you had a very good year, Ed. These are all beautiful. The two unexpected snowfalls gave you your best, I think. Excellent work.

Sweet looking images, Ed! You certainly made the most of what has been a very difficult year to say the least. The unexpected snowfalls in April and October gave you some unique conditions which you utilized to your advantage. They are my favorites just for that reason. Cliffs of Gold was right on their heels as a favorite as I have made myself a promise to be there for sunrise in 2021! How was the breakfast? I have not set foot in a restaurant yet this year.

Nice work Ed, Summer Fantasy and Natures First have a wonderful feel and presence . Enjoy all your takes.

Very good work, an excellent portfolio! I happen to like small scenes, so I enjoy very much that you have included a lot of them in your collection. Cold fusion is my first choice, followed by Fire and Ice.

Ed, this is a fine collection. Your “ice bubbles” in cold fusion really stands out. Early Autumn Color is has a touch of abstraction that is rare in fall color shots.

Wow, great collection! Fire and Ice and April Surprise are just outstanding and the others aren’t far behind.

@Ed_Lowe @Harley_Goldman @Dan_Kearl @Steve_Kennedy @Igor_Doncov @Jim_Zablotny
@Mark_Seaver @linda_mellor @Gary_Minish @Dick_Knudson @Steve_Kennedy @David_Haynes @Dennis_Plank @Stephen_Stanton @Ola_Jovall

Thank you all for comments, I’m glad that you enjoyed my collection for this year.

I didn’t realize this until just now. But seeing “Fire and Ice” and “April Surprise” together in this collection just made me realize that these two trees are only about 30 feet apart in the same local cemetery. On both days with surprise snow, 4/18/20, and 10/30/20, this cemetery was one of the few places around that the trees had buds this early in spring, or peak color that late in autumn. Maybe my success in spring made me subconsciously return there in October.

2 Likes

Fantastic set of images Ed! It’s so nice to see everyone still creating wonderful imagery despite the pandemic. We have such a wonderful community of artists here, I love it!

Cold Fusion is just ridiculously good, makes me want to go play in the cold. April Surprise is my next fave. Looking forward to seeing what 2021 brings!

What a beautifull set of images Ed. “Cold Fusion” is undoutably my favorite one, the abstract shapes are so interesting. A gorgeous image to hang on a wall for sure.
“April surprise” is also something of a beaty. The pattern created by the red flower and the lines from the branchs transmit the calming feeling of a snowy landscape without seeing it.

Wainting to see what beautifukl scenes 2021 will bring you.

Really like the Quabbin Morning. Nice range of clarity in the FG vs mist through to the BG.