Immature Bald Eagle

We have had a fair amount of bald Eagle activity in our neighborhood over the last few days. I counted six flying around yesterday. That is the most I’ve ever seen here. While bald eagles are common in the Pacific Northwest, up until the last few days I had never seen more than three at one time in my area.

Specific Feedback Requested

The light at this time was moderately harsh that’s when the tide is cooperative for Eagles hunting for their meals. They simply don’t come around at very high or very low tides.

Of the six eagles that I saw, there were three juveniles and three adults. There may have been more butI was unable to keep track.

Getting the correct exposure on the mature adults is very difficult compared to the juveniles. The very white plumage on the adult heads and tails is very difficult to expose correctly in harsh light.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
All images are between ISO 160 and 320. They are all between 50 and 75% of full frame.
All images 400 mm +1.4 X, F5 .6, 2000th handheld

Hi David
You just proved why they call in fishing not catching. Nice action. You did a good job on the lighting and in the third shot, the harsher light works to create a more dramatic photograph.
Peter

Terrific series. Here on the river we have a resident pair and their kids usually hang around the territory for a couple years before moving on to establish their own. They are easier to shoot because of the uniformity of color and you’ve done a great job here. The light is what it is and sometimes all you can do is try to use it to your advantage. Here it lets you have a fast shutter speed without having to crank the ISO. It’s a reality series and I like it for that. Hope s/he eventually got a fish!

Wonderful series with great focus tracking!

All three are excellent shots of an immature Bald Eagle, David. The last is the most dramatic, but all are fine images. You did an exceptionally good job of bringing out the eyes, which I find very difficult in the juveniles of this species.

What an impressive bird, well shown in your images. Nice collections of images you show here, I guess my favorite one being the first, due to the background. But all three have their respective charms! Greetings from The Netherlands, Hans

Terrific series, David. I think I prefer the last one, as it is the quintessential eagle fishing shot.