Impala at sunrise

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

My catalogue contains silhouette images of many of the larger African animals (giraffe, elephant, Lions etc.), but I realized that I had few images of one of the most numerous animal on the savannah–the impala. So, one morning I set out before sunrise to find a herd of impala. I positioned myself a distance away so as not to disturb them. In composing the image I was located to the lower left-hand corner of the area, slightly below the herd so I was shooting upwards at a bit of an angle to capture them on the horizon.
As the sun began to rise I began to take photos, but none were what I wanted. Finally, as the sun just cleared the horizon a sound in the distance alerted them and I was able to get the image I was after with good separation between the individual animals, the sun large in the distance, and all of the animals with ears up looking in my direction. Patience and persistence paid off.

Specific Feedback

Feedback on the composition is appreciated.

Technical Details

Camera: Nikon D850
Lens: Nikkor 70-200mm f2.8
Settings: 1/400 sec @f7.1, 110mm with ISO 100, EV -0.67

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Great story and well captured image! You rarely get animals cooperating and the right lighting at the same time. The silhouettes, the sun, and the colors are awesome. It is great as it is. My only thought was to try and make the animal’s silhouettes be a little more prominent in the image. I changed the crop slightly by keeping the width but removing some of the bottom and some of the sky. I kept the sky ratio as 2/3rds of the image.

This is a beautiful sunset Garnet, with a nice row of antelope silhouettes and a good story on how you got them. I like the pano version done by @Willemd too.

Very nice image of the silhouetted impala and trees.
The pano version works well here, as the extra ground and sky in the original does not add much.
Great find!

Thank you @Willemd . I like the crop.

1 Like

Thank you @Ed_Williams , and @SandyR-B for your comments. Much appreciated.