In a Cimarron Fog

I absolutely love foggy conditions, but I never feel like I’m capturing the mood properly when it comes to processing my foggy images. Any tips or suggestions for processing fog would be greatly appreciated.

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

ISO 100, 70mm, f9, 1/160 sec
Processed in Lightroom

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Great dreamy mood and I really like the high key look. Very minor, but I might burn the tree lower left side edge, the brown one and the yellow one almost half way up. You could also experiment with cropping the foggy area but I think it looks real good as presented (both work equally well to my eye).

1 Like

It looks pretty good as is to me, Cameron. I’ve never had to process fog so may not be the best person to offer a comment, but, aside from bringing out the autumn colours so well, you’ve somehow caught the dampness of the fog. A fine image in my book - no nits !!

1 Like

Cameron, I think this is very well processed, what an awesome shooting condition, too. I think cropping out some of the fog as Harley suggested is pretty good although it might change the story that you are trying to convey. Negative space really opens up a lot more room for interpretation.

1 Like

Cameron, this is a very pleasing image, with a nice warm, soft mood. I love shooting in fog, and where I live am able do it a lot. to me the trick is keeping the image bright enough and avoiding a flat underexposed look. I think you have done a great job with exposure here. And fog itself is often slightly cool, and I think you have done a nice job of keeping the fog cool, while letting the warmth of the fall color shine through. From a composition standpoint, I would definitely recommend a crop from the top to reduce negative space. Although it might change your intent for the image, i might also consider a very slight crop from the right as well. these two crops are suggested with the intent of making the trees and foreground larger in the frame.

1 Like