In Awe

This is from the 2019 NPN NENP June meetup in the White Mountains of NH with Ed McGuirk, Patricia Brundage, my brother Mike and myself. Unfortunately Patricia had to leave early so she missed this awe inspiring sunrise.

This was one of those sunrises that I will never forget. I was so struck with the spectacular lenticular clouds that I did not even think to change the wide angle lens and grab some telephoto shots. I just kept shooting the lupine field with this as a backdrop, oblivious to other compositions. Anyway, for this weekly challenge I cropped off most of the field.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 24mm, f 16 @ 1/6 sec, ISO 400, MLU, cable release & tripod

2 Likes

Pretty darn fab if this NH native can be so bold. Just wonderful.

Beautiful. A very peaceful and inviting scene.

Me neither. And this was one of those sunrises that almost (but not quite) makes me want to give up shooting New Hampshire lupines, because I know that I’ll never be able to do any better than what we got that morning. Unlike the Sierra Mountains in California, lenticular clouds are a pretty rare occurrence in New England.

The processing looks great Ed, and the colors are exactly as I remember them. While the main cloud is pretty spectacular, I also love how the lower clouds are creeping over the tops of the Presidentials in the background. After grabbing this wider view, I did pull out the telephoto and zoom in on the mountaintops.

This does look great in a panoramic aspect ratio. You have inspired me to go back and revisit this with an eye on doing the same thing.

Ed, this looks great as a panorama. The gentle pinks and blues in the sky are set off beautifully by the bright green of the field. The cloud deck is excellent with the multiple levels of clouds, including the caps on the mountains.

A beautiful sunrise image, Ed, with just the right amount of foreground. Those clouds are just magical.

The clouds, mountains and meadow are wonderful, but the colors are fantastic – rainbow sorbet of peach, pink, rose and magenta, set off by grays and blues. And then the greens in the trees and meadow – over the top!