Fiery Wave

This was taken a couple of years ago around sunrise in the White Mountains of NH. My brother and I have visited numerous times in June for the lupines, but we always make time to head to Sunset Hill for the sunrise or sunset; both equally good IMO. Although it seems to be getting more and more crowded with other photographers so we may have to scout out another location.This particular morning the clouds looked like waves on fire.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

Specific Feedback Requested

All C&C welcome.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Nikon D700, Nikon 80-200 @ 80mm, f 20 @ 1/8 sec, ISO 200, MLU, cable release & tripod

Nice clouds for sure! Even when I lived in NH, I wasn’t tempted by the lupines or Sunset Hill because of the hordes. A fellow photographer and friend used to go every year and complain about it. He tried to scout around, too, but I don’t know what he found. I bet he’ll never tell, either!

I like the layers here and how low-key you’ve kept the mountains and trees. They’re all visible, but subtle and deeply hued and I like that very much. The open space is a bit of a contrast, but that’s how it is when the cloud layer leaves a gap like that. You’ve pulled some color there and it works. And you’ve kept the clouds looking creamy and smooth. Quite a pleasing result overall. Maybe a slight slice off the top…actually, no, it makes a good frame for the dazzle in the clouds. Nah, I got nothin.

Ed, it is a lovely sunrise and the mix of layers in the clouds and layers in the land look great. That’s an outstanding cloud deck.

Wow Ed, that’s quite a fiery cloud cover you captured. The clouds look so ominous and yet the landscape below is calm and serene. Nice contrast between the two layers. My only thought for possible improvement would have been to exclude the trees, leaving only the mountains and sky.