New Hampshire Sunrise

Last week we had a meetup of the Northeast Nature Photographers (NENP) group, in the White Mountains of New Hampshire. It was a pleasure meeting Ed Lowe, Mike Lowe, and Patricia Brundage in person. Due to a cold and rainy spring this year, the lupine bloom was delayed and we were a little too early. On Thursday and Friday, we fought through shooting in the rain most of the day, including temperatures of a chilly 45 degrees at Crawford Notch (it felt more like October than June). On Saturday this was more than made up for by some spectacular pink lenticular clouds at sunrise over the White Mountains. While I took some classic wide-angle shots, I also used a telephoto lens to zoom in and make the mountain and clouds appear larger. Not a bad way to end our NPN meetup.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments and critique are welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Canon 5D MKIV, Canon 70-200mm f4 IS lens, 81mm, ISO 100
Manual blend of exposure brackets for dynamic range, using TK luminosity masks

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
2 Likes

Had a great time also, Ed. Thanks for the photo tips and being patient with two old men following you around. The picture is awesome with the alternating cool and warm bands from top to bttom through the image. Great use of the tele to pick out this comp.
:vulcan_salute:

Awesome sunrise picture. Its amazing how different the perspective is using a telephoto lens . The clouds outshine the lupine field, but the combination of the two main elements make for a special image.

Ed,

Wow, that was quite the light and color show you folks were so fortunate enough to witness and experience. Yes, great job with the longer focal length to isolate a more concentrated piece of the bigger scene. I’m with Michael in enjoying the alternating bands of color - and the colors look great!

I’m wondering if you have a frame that has just a skosh more of the lupine field? Not that I want to see more lupine or green, but for balance and weight. The sky is gorgeous - oh, and I love the fog being lit up as it creeps over the mountain tops… But to the balance, almost wishing for more at the bottom to sandwich the mountain/tree line between the awesome sky and colorful field. But a minor point at that. Beautiful image as presented.

Lon

Great meeting you also, Ed. That was a stunner of a sunrise with the lenticular clouds and warm color! The processing looks superb and I like the layering with the field, then the tree line, followed by the mountains and all capped off with that drama laden sky. It is very subtle in the image, but I am loving that bit off warm light on the flanks of the mountains on the right and left sides of the frame. Many thanks for showing Mike and I around.

Love the layered effect, Ed, and the overall hues. You somehow feel the clouds drifting across the sky, and the way the light falls down into the valley and onto the grassy area is beautidully captured.

Beautiful clouds hanging on the mountains and great sky. The flowers make a fine lead in too. Great layering to boot. Real nice!!!

I would take any day with rain, if it’s followed by lenticular clouds! :smiley: Those are beautiful. And the light and colors on them here is great! The purple in the grasses go well with the greens and the sky. It looks great!

@Lon_Overacker @Ron_Jansen @Ian_Wolfenden @Michael_Lowe @Patricia_Brundage @Ed_Lowe @Harley_Goldman Thank you all for stopping by to comment, it is appreciated. Even if you shoot a lot, mornings like this only happen a few days a year, this was one special light show.
After fighting through shooting in the rain for two days, the conditions this morning made the whole trip worthwhile.

Lon, I understand your comment on wanting a little more space devoted to the flowers. I have some other shots that do incorporate more of the field. But for this image, I wanted to use the telephoto to emphasize the sky and the clouds coming over the mountains, making those elements the dominant features. To me the lupines are a secondary or tertiary element in this image that are there only to provide a clue about the tie of year this was taken.

Beautiful shot, Ed. The thing that really jumped out for me was in your description, not the image. 45 degrees!!! Living in Florida I would kill for 45 degrees in June!!!

This looks so peaceful and relaxing, like only a green scene can. Great color combinations and contrast. No nits or suggestions at all.

Thanks, Bill. I was not prepared clothing wise for 45 degree rain, it was in the low sixties outside Crawford Notch (a notch is a mountain pass). When we drove into the notch to shoot a waterfall, the temperature dropped about 15 degrees, these notches often generate their own weather.

1 Like