White Mountains Sunrise

I was fortunate enough to witness and photograph this magical sunrise with my brother @Michael_Lowe and fellow photog and friend @Ed_McGuirk one morning during the lupine bloom in NH. It was a morning that I will not forget as this is the only time I have witnessed lenticular clouds first hand.

As always thanks for taking a moment to leave a thought.

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All C&C welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Nikon D800, Nikon 17-35 @ 24 mm, f 16 @ 1/6 sec, MLU, five stops of GND filter, cable release & tripod

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.
2 Likes

Ed, the Lupine show very well in this glorious scene. The gentle, inviting colors in the sky complement the blues and greens in the land beautifully.

Very very lovely. In the large size I see what looks to be a mist rising on the left side where the sun is rising. Iā€™m guessing possibly a lake or other water there. So much deliciousness here. . . a tasty feast for the eyes.

Really nice light and color here Ed. I feel like the composition is right-heavy and could have been improved by focusing closer on the flowers and centering more of the mountains and cloud. Beautiful photo overall.

Beautiful sceneā€¦really loving the pre-dawn glow on the left side of the image which has been managed very well from color and brightness standpoint IMO. The mist over the (presumed) water is a cool touch too (pun intended).

I will say that nature never gets it wrongā€¦but Iā€™ve been struggling over the past year or so with color harmony in my images. This may just be me, but here is a great example of a red/cyan sky with a purple/green/yellow foreground which to my eye is inharmonious and not particularly appealing to me. Either color palette is fine alone, but mixed together is more of a struggle for me. Iā€™d be interested in others perspective, and I wonā€™t say I have a good solution, but Iā€™ve thrown away a few images of my own images with red/pink skies and different/nonharmonious colors in the foreground that didnā€™t blend well together to my eye.

The red sky with green foreground is a classic complementary color combination and I think it is beautiful here. That being said, complementary color combinations can be ā€œboldā€ and are not to everyoneā€™s liking. As they say in Latin, ā€œDe gustibus non est disputandumā€ (there is no arguing about taste).

A beautiful image, Ed. A wonderful field of flowers with an expanse I normally donā€™t associate with that part of the world. The light is wonderful and your composition is excellent.

Perfect in every way, Ed ! Beautiful light in the sky and spreading across the landscape, wonderfully rich colour in the fg, spectacular clouds - all composed with a very sure touch.

Many thanks everyone @Mark_Seaver, @David_Stokely, @Richard_Wong, @Jim_McGovern, @Tony_Siciliano, @Dennis_Plank and @Ian_Wolfenden for taking a moment to leave a thought as it is always appreciated.
@Richard_Wong: Iā€™ve reposted a vertical; taken a couple of frames later; which tightens up the composition a little by emphasizes the right a bit more. The only trade off is that I lost the mist on the left side.
@Jim_McGovern: I know the bold colors donā€™t always work for everyone as @Tony_Siciliano so eloquently explained.

1 Like

I prefer the original post over the portrait post Ed. Itā€™s far more harmonious to me and I like the inclusion of the orange colors in the sky. The Portrait image just looks a little bit flat without that orange color on the left side of the landscape frame. You captured a wonderful moment here with these lupine blooms and the lenticular clouds. You, your brother and Ed must have been over the top with excitement when you saw this. Now thatā€™s a great start to a new day!