Image 2

Image 3

Image 4

Image 5

Image 6

Image 7

Image 8

Project Description

There is a Christian song that I love, and its called, In the Eye of the Storm. While I was processing these photos, the song was playing and it kind of just came together for me. I’ve read the submission guidelines, and I hope this fits into it.

Self Critique

I like the sharpness of my photos and the way the song words (chorus) fit into it.

Creative Direction

This was just a first attempt at doing anything like this. I know its nothing spectacular, it is just something I like how it turned out, and I hope others enjoy it as well.

Specific Feedback

To match photos to words.

Intent of the project

Just for fun

Additional Details: Every year our white pelicans swarm to the dam near my home for some good fishing. I always enjoy going to photograph them. Some years the water it running fast and furious, and some years, a little more calm. This was a fast and furious year. Thank you.

First, I love how you match song words (which can be taken secularly if we wish, as suggested by Image 4) to photos - it’s a great idea. Second, I also love most of the images, especially the near-repetition of first and last. I might replace Image 2 with a “control” image in stormy waters to match the others (5 gets away with it as it needs to rest, though if you’re lucky you might get a more battered bird). When I view these large, the sequence runs through twice (and Image 8 is larger than the others in the first run). Finally, I love the layout; the frames can even out the format. Successful fun!

Thanks so much! It was a fun project and just for me. I agree I need to find a little bit of a battered bird for the one line. And the one is sized a bit different. A first try that just kind of happened and I had fun with it. Thanks for looking and commenting. I appreciate it!!

Judi,

What an awesome “Project” and more importantly, awesome images!

I think the Project is a huge success - in part because of how you integrated the music and words to a song. Wonderful idea! I can see some future Projects being created along this theme. Well done!

I think the format, framing, titling, etc also add to the success here. Not sure if this is significant or not… but image 1 and 8 have the same exact title. I get that it’s the beginning and the close, and they are very nearly identical in content. The only comment regarding the same title for those - is that if you’re actually naming and printing… you wouldn’t have 2 identical titles… But of course not a big deal here… Hmmmmm, what if you reversed 1 & 8? I think Image #1 is perhaps more of a “closer” image given the bird is just about engulfed and ready to disappear - or be closed out.

Great job! Thank you for sharing this!

Lon

Lon, thank YOU so much for your feedback, I do appreciate it. I do think reversing the two images, 1 and 8 would work better. And yes, 1 and 8 have the same title, b/c of the song, as you said. It was just a fun project, not done for anything in particular other than me working on processing photos and listening to music at the same time. That song came up and I was working on these poor pelicans in this crazy water and they were trying to catch fish. :slight_smile: Again, thanks again for your kind words and input. I do appreciate it. Take care!

1 Like