In the spotlight + Repost

Repost:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The inside of the volcanic crater was covered with pine trees, illuminated by the sun. Fortunately, I had my telephoto lens with me. So I shot handheld in all directions.

Here you see the sisters and brothers of the tree from which I recently shared a picture: Volcano Tree + Repost

Specific Feedback

Is there anything that could be improved in post-processing regarding light, colors, or contrast?
Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

Wow! I love the teardrop shape of the light, perfectly framing the shape of the rocks! The light on the trees, and their shadows, is wonderful! I don’t see anything I would change! There is always a chance to do more edge cleanup, but I don’t see anything here that can pull my eyes away from the center. Hmm – maybe a bit brighter overall…?

Oh wow how cool is this? You’ve processed this on the subtle side, but I think it has enough presence and form to take a lot more contrast should you have a mind. With some masking you could bring up the green luminance and pull down the shadows and emphasize that teardrop. so great. I like the arrangement of the trees although I’d clone out the one at the tail of the teardrop (top). So many possibilities. I’d have love to go on this hike.

@Diane_Miller, @Kris_Smith
Thank you very much for your feedback. I really appreciate that.

Yes, I agree, there is some space left in the histogram.

Lately, I’ve been trying not to go overboard with contrast when editing. It’s difficult to figure out when it is enough. But I agree that this image can handle more contrast.
I printed the image this morning… it looks quite flat on the paper.

I’m going to mess around with it.

Sorry, I don’t get it exactly. Which tree would you remove?

I know what you mean about contrast @Jens_Ober - I have been actively trying to lift blacks and shadows to avoid things getting too harsh. Not that it’s happening here, you know what I mean. And the tree isn’t any of those - it’s that bit between 1 and 2 at the top of the frame on the edge. The little yellowish dude.

1 Like

Thank you, Kris.

Yes, that was my intention. But I always struggle to know when it’s enough.

I just added an updated repost.
I added some contrast, boosted the green tones slightly, and removed some distractions.

Jens,

Wonderful! I especially like the viewpoint/perspective; not quite a direct, overhead aerial, but the viewpoint does suggest a slope. Even the tree shadows point downward also emphasizing that angled perspective.

The light and “teardrop” have been commented on. I think your edit is spot on; processing excellent. I had a brief thought that this was too tall and you could crop some off the bottom, perhaps removing that one small bush/tree in the LR, but then I noticed the shadow of the bottom central tree and I wouldn’t want to encroach that shadow at all.

So… I don’t have any further suggestions. A wonderful image!

1 Like

Hi Lon,
thank you very much for your feedback.

The slope on which the trees grow is quite steep. Considering that the picture was taken at 12 noon, the length of the shadows reveals something about the surroundings.

Here you can see an overview of the scene. I took the picture a little earlier with the smartphone.

Jens,

Quite a unique capture. I too thought it was an aerial photo, but after seeing your wide angle of the area, even more impressed that you were able to notice that small area and capture it with the most perfect light falling on it. The repost is spot on.

1 Like

Hi Youssef,
thank you very much for your feedback and your kind words.

Meanwhile, my brain is constantly scanning the environment for interesting details.
And my wife has now gotten used to the fact that we constantly have to stop for seemingly no reason when we’re hiking. “What is he pointing his camera at?”
But I am grateful that she is very patient with me.

In this case, it was simply a matter of patience. The clouds moved relatively quickly. I did not have to wait long until the sunlight hit the trees.