Volcano Tree + Repost

Repost:

Original:

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We spent the last week on the lovely island of La Palma. One day we visited a volcano whose crater edge is open to visitors. As we walked along there, I noticed all the pine trees growing on the inside of the crater. I liked the light that fell on the trees due to the rapid change between the sun and clouds. So I had to stop here and there to take a few shots with the telephoto lens.

Specific Feedback

Is there anything that could be improved in post-processing regarding light, colors, or contrast?
Any feedback is welcome.

Technical Details

1 Like

Hey Jens,
Great to see you here :slight_smile:
I think you have some room on your histogram.
One of my favorite techniques lately has been to just simply use the LR Tone Curve and use the right hand upper dot to move the whole histogram. It creates far fewer issues than the whites/blacks/shadows/highlights sliders.

It looks like this:

Otherwise, I’m wondering about the placement of the nice tree at center… my brain wants it at dead center for some reason. LOL Not sure if that works or not!

This is spectacular, Jens! Very unique. Wonderful light, and I love how the tree and all the smaller foliage (bushes, small trees?) pop against the dark lava. I do like @Matt_Payne suggestion to put the tree dead center, even though somebody somewhere said we’re never supposed to center our subject. I think in this case it would make the image even stronger. Thanks so much for sharing!

Wonderful scene and light! Definitely other-worldly – I thought it was a drone shot. Moving the tree lower would crowd the shadow. My eye sweeps up from the bottom and then is held in the image by the formations at the top.

@Matt_Payne, @Bret_Edge, @Diane_Miller
Thank you very much for your feedback. I appreciate that.

Thank you for pointing that out.

Awesome technique. Thanks, I never used the Tone Curve for this purpose.

Unfortunately, I left my drone at home. There are very few areas where it is allowed to fly on the island. It would not have been worth it.

I just added a repost with the suggested adjustment (brighten the image and cropping so that the tree is located at the center of the frame).

You are welcome. I learned it from @Alex_Nail and it has helped me simplify my processing quite a lot.

1 Like

The repost with the added contrast looks excellent! Reminds me of the area around the Cinder Cone at Lassen Volcanic NP in northern California. Same kind of lava fields with random trees scattered throughout. The line of the shadow and the lava flow is very nice and continuous. My eye follows then looks around at all the other vegetation dotting the landscape. Nicely done!