In the Spray


Splish Splash


Bath Time


Before the Splash

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was sitting on my patio yesterday afternoon when this little bird suddenly landed on the bird bath fountain in my backyard. What started as a quiet moment quickly turned into a series of splashes, flying droplets, and playful movement that lasted several minutes. I had been experimenting with photographing moving water, so I grabbed both of my cameras and tried to capture both the energy of the splashing and the softer atmosphere of the garden around it.
What inspired me most was how something so ordinary could become so beautiful when frozen for just a fraction of a second. I wanted the photo to feel less like a traditional wildlife portrait and more like a fleeting summer moment — full of motion, texture, and personality. The suspended droplets, soft background, and small details of the backyard setting all helped tell that story.
More than anything, I hoped to capture a sense of joy and the reminder that meaningful photographic moments can happen right outside our own windows.

Specific Feedback

I’d especially appreciate feedback on the overall composition and balance of the scenes. I went back and forth quite a bit while editing, trying to preserve the softer atmospheric feeling while still keeping the bird and water droplets as the main focus. I’d also love thoughts on whether the environmental elements, like the flowers and wider framing, add to the storytelling or become distracting.

Technical Details

This image was photographed while I was sitting on my patio experimenting with both my Nikon Z50 II and Nikon D850 after making some recent camera setting changes and trying to balance motion, detail, and natural-looking results between the two cameras. I had been comparing how each camera handled moving water and action when this little bird suddenly landed in the backyard bird bath fountain and began splashing around for several minutes.

I used a fast shutter speed (1/1000) to help freeze the movement of both the bird and the flying water droplets while still trying to preserve a natural feeling to the scene.

Processing was done in Luminar Neo. My editing focused on maintaining the softer atmospheric mood of the garden while selectively enhancing the bird and water droplets for subtle detail and separation. I also made minor local adjustments to reduce background distractions and balance the composition without overprocessing the image.

HI Joyce and welcome! This is a fun series and catching splashing water always provides a dynamic element that is intriguing to see. I think the subject is a gray catbird which is one I rarely get to see so that is another treat with these images. The 1/1000s shutter speed did pretty well in capturing the details on the bird while providing some motion blur in the splashes. I think the softness in the bird in the second shot is from the focus area being on the water in front instead of the bird itself. I think the second and third close up images would benefit with a bit more room in front of the bird.
If you have a chance to experiment with this set up, I’m wondering if you tried a bit faster shutter speed say 1/2500s) and see what you thought about the difference in the motion blur or lack thereof in the water splashes. Not saying that look is better than these images but just something to try.
I don’t think the flower in the first image adds to the image. The setting with the grayish/greenish background seems to fit the mood to me and is a pleasing element.
Fun series and thank you for sharing!