Veiled + revised rework

Original Image

Revised per Dennis’s suggestion

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I was on a very short 3 day extended weekend back in February with my wife and 2 dogs down in San Diego when we decided to take the dogs to the dog beach. The dog beach is located at the end of the San Diego River where it dumps into the ocean and along the river there are all kinds of birds. I was shooting low in a small offshoot of the river where a snowy was feeding on fish. He must have caught 30 fish in less than a half hour. Most were tiny little mosquito like fish but on this attempt, he pulled up a larger fish which is hidden behind a veil of water. I’ll post another image with that fish but without the veil in a separate post. Anyway, I thought I would title this one veiled. I love the look of the splashing water and just a glimpse of what may or may not be happening behind that veil. Let me know your thoughts on this. Thanks for taking a look.

Specific Feedback

I have more of the bird in the original frame but cropped this down so that I could eliminate everything that wasn’t needed to make this story about the splash and the droplets of water. I’d like to get your thoughts on the tight crop and whether I should go tighter or loosen it up slightly. If I loosen it up, I will be including part of the wing and the feet and it becomes a distraction in my my mind. You can actually see one of the feet on the right edge of the frame. Let me know if there are any distractions that need to be dealt with. Thanks

Technical Details

Z9, 100-400mm lens @ 400mm, ISO 200, 1/2000, f/5.6, hand held, manual

2 Likes

The water splash is one of the nicest I’ve seen. Good timing and your shutter speed really froze the action. Nice one, David.

1 Like

David, I love this image! It’s nice to see something other than the fish stuck on the beak or in the open mouth, not saying those aren’t great but this is different! Love that we can see the face through the veil of water, and the shutter speed was spot-on for capturing the motion of the water. Well-done!

Absolutely wonderful!! Amazing splash and perfect title. All said above. I think the crop is perfect as far as the amount of bird included. I love the shadows of the water on his neck. My only thought is maybe a little more of the top water droplets could be good, and/or more of the reflection. Just a little more would probably keep the emphasis on the splash. Don’t know how tied you are to the aspect ratio, but you might squarify it. But those are just ideas and you have probably already looked at them. I don’t see how this could be any better – just different.

Absolutely gorgeous image, David. The only thing I might possibly do to it is brighten the unveiled part of the bird just the merest trifle (you might have to pull down the highlights to avoid blowing them).

Than you very much for your comments and critiques @Allen_Brooks , @brenda_tharp , @Diane_Miller . and @Dennis_Plank . I appreciate you all taking the time to have a look and offer up suggestions… I took Dennis’s suggestion to heart and brightened up the splash and I will also do a revision to include Diane’s suggestion of perhaps a square crop to include more droplets. It will have to wait though since I am behind in my packing as I am leaving for Yellowstone tomorrow morning for 2 weeks and most likely won’t be doing much processing and picture tinkering on this trip. I do thank you though for your suggestions. I don’t often think of square crops. I guess I need to remember to think square once in a while. :slight_smile:
Brenda, I’m glad that you love this different and unusual view. Thanks for your comment.

Hi David, I really like this image and whites on either version look fine to me. Love the splashing water in front of the bird’s face. Makes for a fun and interesting capture. I’m fine with this crop also. Well done.

Thanks very much Allen. I appreciate your insight and also the EP. Thanks again!

1 Like

There’s been talk about loosening the crop, but I feel like it should be tightened… from the left.

To me one of the strengths of this image (aside from the technical achievement) is the wonderful diagonal that leads from the upper right corner down to that splash. The empty water on the left—the only part of the frame devoid of notable droplets, contrasting tones, or other notable textures—adds nothing. If anything, it lessens the effect of the wonderful shape and leading line you have between bird and splash. I’d love to see about 15% or so taken off the left. I can see that you centered the splash because it’s (rightly) the focus of the image, but this focus can be enhanced with more efficient leading lines and spacial balance in the frame.

All to say I think a wonderful shot could be even better. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

Oh Max, I love your suggestion. You are absolutely correct. I will rework this image and repost. Thanks so much for the suggestion. It seems so obvious to me now. Sheesh! :slight_smile:

1 Like