Big Splash

I took this at Huntington Beach State Park, Murrills Inlet, SC last summer. I just really liked the splash he made when he landed for his catch, which, unfortunately for him, he missed dinner!

What technical feedback would you like if any?

Any feedback is welcome.

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Should I do a closer crop? I like all of the splash of water all around him, and so had trouble talking myself into a closer shot.

Any pertinent technical details:

Canon 7D Mark II
Canon 100-400 mm L lens at 400 mm
f6.3
1/1250
ISO 800
Shooting manual setting, hand held with IS on.
Edited in LR and Topaz and cropped slightly from the top.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
1 Like

Impeccable timing Shirley! All that frozen spray makes this for me.

Thank you, Hank, I appreciate that.

The splash is really great! I don’t think I’d go tighter either. Nice timing!

A great splash shot, Shirley. The water everywhere really makes this shot, and I love the wing and head position. Great timing. I wouldn’t crop this any further. This is all about the splash. The head of the Osprey seems just a trifle soft anyway, so cropping further would make that more apparent.

Thank you, Keith and Dennis. I think maybe the water spray may have caused a bit of softness, but I am not sure. It was a lot of water drops, so one could have interfered, I suppose. I appreciate your thoughts on this.

Shirley, great timing on the splash, which for me is the best part of the image. I’d leave it as is. It is an interesting fact that it takes a great deal of effort for an Osprey to recover flight after it plunges in for prey, and while wet and laden with a fish, all the more difficult.

Thank you so much, Bill. Much appreciated.

Good lord, what a splash! I could see a version where you come in a bit from the top and left.