In the sunshine updated

I was out the out day in the high heat and this butterfly was bouncing around and stopped here for a couple of minutes. I did a 4x5 crop on the landscape shot and removed some focused leaves on the lower corner left.

Specific Feedback Requested

Not sure the ID on this one but they are around in the Arizona area. Great Spangled Fritillary ?

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
Canon 90D Canon 100-400 ii at 400mm f/6 iso 100 1/160 HH. This one was the sharpest of the bunch I did.

2 Likes

Really beautiful capture, Dean! I love the contrasting colors and the pose is perfect!

I think it’s a Gulf Fritillary, Dean, and you caught it on a great flower where it can be seen in all its glory. It’s nice and sharp and you did well at f6, letting us enjoy the super background too. Well taken!

Hi, Dean. I agree with @Mike_Friel that this is a Gulf Fritillary. Excellent details and color, and a pleasing bg. Well done.

Lovely. Nice and sharp and I really like the dof bringing out all the details on the wings. Crop format looks good also.

Gorgeous butterfly with the perfect sun angle brushing its wings to give a 3D look. Lovely BG too. I’d consider removing the diagonal stem in the UR. Is it possible to recover any of the blown highlites in the flower?

Dean, the colors in the BF and it’s surroundings are gorgeous. The sharpness looks good as well. With the bright sun, holding the highlights in the flower is a challenge. Shooting at -1EV and then bringing up the midtones in processing can often work.

You’ve placed the butterfly really nicely in the frame and the detail is wonderful - the legs! Such delicate creatures. The flower does look a little hot to me and since it was full sun that’s not too surprising - underexposing a tad would have prevented that and I still think you’d have been ok. The colors look natural and at the right saturation level. Is that an ovipositor I see on the end there? Wow. A lovely creature.

Dean, I’m sorry I am coming in late on this. I managed to get to go home to my hometown for a few days this week. Only got online once!

Nice look at this guy, and as others have mentioned, you did well with the bright sun. @Mark_Seaver had a good suggestion for exposure. I heard on the news you all are really getting hit with the high temps out there. Be careful.

Hi Dean,

See if you can recover the strong highlights on the flower. Other features of the image are very nice…Jim

I tamed down the highlights

more on the flower.

1 Like