Incoming Raven

I have always found ravens in flight difficult to photograph. Too often, they show up as black silhouettes. For this image, I over-exposed by two stops. I was quite pleased that it showed detail in the feathers, and some of the metallic colours that are contained within the black .

D500 / Sigma @ 300mm. 1600 ISO, 1/1500 sec f/6.7

1 Like

Nice Raven in flight, Michael. I like the metalic look in the feathers . There looks like a little bit of ghosting around the head and nape, maybe in processing.I would darken all else but the bird or use a strong vignette to showcase the subject.

Nice job, Michael. I really like the flight position and the tree it’s flying into. I do think the exposure on the Raven is just a bit too much and I’d go down a bit on it. I also think the background would benefit by a significant exposure reduction-it looks pretty washed out. The composition works well for my taste.

This is a very nice pose and the raven is in the perfect spot for the composition. The bright, direct lighting is a major issue and the image is over-exposed. However, if you re-process this image, I think that the photo will be improved greatly. …Jim

Exposure adjustments as suggested.

1 Like

Now that looks really good. Everything looks alive!

The reprocessed image looks much better, Michael. Well done.