Hark, the Raven

What technical feedback would you like if any? Any\

What artistic feedback would you like if any? Any

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

We went to Yosemite Valley this morning and I was lucky to catch this Raven hanging out in a tree. D500, Nikon 2-500 lens, Nikon 1.4 TC, 1/1000th, f/8.0, ISO 1800, 480mm, hand held, AI Clear. a little Photoshop branch cloning

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

I like this, Dave. While the light was rather harsh looking, you handled it and the blacks very well. What appeals to me most is the pose, I think. The upper part of the background is fairly mellow, but you might try dimming down some of the brighter branches in the lower part of the frame.

Dennis gets it right that you have handled the light pretty well. I have to say that this is harder for me to connect with, Dave. The busy background and the pose are just not very engaging. Good suggestion to tame the brighter part of the branch and perhaps the brighter OOF BG, too.

Nice pose and as others have said, good job on the harsh light. Another way to tame this image would be the use of a vignette to focus more attention on the bird and less on the distracting elements.

Hi Dave, I have to agree with Adhika on this one. The pose and distracting elements just don’t do it for me. You did handle the light well. A vignette as David suggests may help some.

I’d have to agree with Adhika and Allen. Scene is a little too busy, and the bird looking away from you isn’t great. IQ also looks like it could be better.