Inconspicuous

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

While walking the beach at Harris Beach State Park, I noticed some movement on the rocks and spied this pelican. I would not have noticed it if it hadn’t moved. Of course a seabird would have little need for land form camouflage but I thought it might fit the challenge. I was only carrying my 24-105 with me so I couldn’t get it much larger in the frame. I did approach slowly but I must have invaded its comfort zone as it flew away when I got a little closer. All comments welcome. >=))>

Specific Feedback

Is the bird too small in the frame? This is uncropped so I have lots of pixels I could trim off.

Technical Details

Sony A7RIII
Sony FE 24-105 f4 G @ 105mm
ISO 400, 1/60 @ f11 HH

1 Like

Nicely seen, Bill! Great shot. I can see why you could have missed him, had he not moved. He definitely blends into the sounding rocks. I do think, if it were mine, I would play with cropping a bit. Mostly from the top and bottom. Love the detail you’ve gotten in the bird.

Bill, this young pelican does blend in well. While you could crop to make the bird more of the center of attention, this view does a fine job of showing off it’s camouflage, which is necessary for young birds nesting in the open. The slight “haze” in the upper left adds a good sense of 3D to the view.