Industry's Shadow (+ 1 re-work)

Bah - didn’t pay attention to clipping on the first outing. Here it is with them knocked down.

Revisiting some of my non-nature images. For decades old mill buildings in New England just rotted away and while some still are, many are being revitalized. A friend had an art studio in this complex and I puttered around with the camera one day.

This is a walkway over the Nashua river in the millyard. The light was lovely and someone was playing the guitar and it was great. I should print this.

Specific Feedback Requested

Nothing specific, but if you can see a way to improve it, let me know.

Technical Details

Is this a composite: No
I think I had the camera on a tripod, but I wouldn’t swear to it.

Lightroom for basic crop, processing and color balance. Photoshop for some voodoo to take away a messy bit.

@the.wire.smith
1 Like

Kris: This immediately caught my eye and is indeed a very print worthy image. The play of light and shadow and all the various lines make for a striking result. Really well seen and superbly captured. >=))>

This is a great image! Technically very good and a great choice what to include in the frame. And the shadows just make it perfect.

Way cool, Kris. I’ve always liked receding lines and this one is no exception. The lines lead your eye into the scene and then directly to the window. It’s also pretty cool looking at the windows through the girders. My only thought might be to tone down the highlights on the wooden deck of the bridge. It might be my monitor, but they do look like there’s detail there that’s washed out.

Yes, this is indeed print-worthy :+1:

Thanks @Bill_Fach, @Ola_Jovall & @David_Bostock - I miss the mills a little. They’re all over in New England and because moving away wasn’t ever a consideration, I took them for granted.

Thanks for the catch on the blown highlights - I totally missed those when I did some re-editing. New version in the OP.

New version ROCKS! Well done, Kris.

Great look at this old industrial site. I find myself preferring the contrast in the original but the difference is not all that much.