Inflight Scrub

Critique Style Requested: In-depth

The photographer has shared comprehensive information about their intent and creative vision for this image. Please examine the details and offer feedback on how they can most effectively realize their vision.

Self Critique

I like its position however it has some nearby by busy BG. I can live with it for the moment it got. You?

Creative direction

I was aiming for an inflight moment which I got, even at the expense of the prominent BG.

Specific Feedback

Is the aesthetic of the subject surviving the Busy BG?

Technical Details

X9, Nikon 200-0500 lens, monopod, 1/3200th, f 8.0, 300mm, ISO 2200, cropped to 2674 x 1989, Photo AI

Description

It was in the area of my bird feeder. I was locked and loaded waiting for any good moments.

Hello, I don’t know this bird at all, but here it looks like the size of a robin so I imagine it was difficult to get in flight! It looks like the bird is calling as well which adds to the action. I do appreciate your creative vision…its something I continue to strive for!

The soft light on the wings is beautiful. I think the background may be too busy, but I love the colours in the background, the blue, green, and terracotta complement each other. I wonder if the brightness of the background, blue sky especially, could be brought down a bit. That may help the bird stand out against the background?

Congratulations on getting the action you were looking for.

Hi Dave, nice that you caught this small bird in flight and reasonably sharp - certainly tough to do. I like the pose of the bird with spread wings and open beak. I’d say this is a keeper even with the busy background.

Nice flight shot, Dave. I love the wing position and open beak. While the background is busy it works fairly well. If you want to, it would be a bit tedious, but you could mask out the bird and the in-focus branch immediately behind it and and then add a bit of extra blur and perhaps desaturate the background a bit to de-emphasize it.

Hi Dave
At first look I wanted to open up the frame, on second thought the background might start to overwhelm Jay. Tuff call. The bird itself is sharp and the call just add to your photograph. (another thing to add to my learning curve.)
Peter