Interpretive Manzanita

This is from 2014, and I was taking an online class for “fine art nature” photography, just discovering ICM. It was high noon (on a lunch time walk) along a trail in the northern California chaparral. The color of the bark is realistic, but the leaves are more yellowish than they really are. The white swirls are points of light between the leaves. This sort of captures the chaos of a manzanita “jungle”.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any comments welcome. Is that yellow too much? Maybe a more representational shade of green would be better. I could change that color now (didn’t have the processing skills at the time).

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, ICM, Sony a7, 35mm, f/8, ISO 50, 1/8s.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

This is quite the view of “spinning disks”, Bonnie. I’m fascinated that the tree trunks don’t show the swirl. They do make a fine contrast to the bright swirls. In abstracts, bright and dark areas are eye grabbers. In this case, there are a couple of areas that stand out as bright enough that a bit of burning-in might work well on, the upper right corner and the area near the middle left edge. This is a fun image.

1 Like

Bonnie,

Wow! This is fascinating, engaging and downright awesome. What an entry for the WC (so many awesome ones so far!)

I’m just trying to imaging the teeny camera movement, swirl to get this effect. Very, very cool. And with an abstract such as this, color standards are out the window… so I have no issues with color, hue, sat, etc. Bright highlights, maybe… Mark mentioned those, but that’s very minor.

I LOVE this image.

Lon

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver and @Lon_Overacker. I agree that the bright spots could be brought down more. The tree trunks probably don’t show much texture because they were so dark relative to the really bright, but dappled sun, and the small movement just blurred them out.

Bonnie: Thoroughly cool. This kind of stuff is fun to do and often delightful in the end. Most excellent. >=))>