Coastal Cypresses

From a few years ago, on the Mendocino coast. I was taken by the fan-like pattern of the ends of the branches that had needles, against the bare, sweeping branches. Because it was the overall pattern and texture that was important, I converted to b&w.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

I don’t have any particular issues with this one, but critique is always welcome.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

Single frame, a7, 35mm, 1/125s, f/2.8, ISO400, hand held

2 Likes

The “fan-like” pattern that you saw is shown off very well here, Bonnie. Were this in color I think it could easily be so busy that the pattern you enjoyed would be hard to see. Nice job of seeing and getting the photo to show what you “saw”.

Nice work Bonnie. They’re like clouds in the sky. The 3 sweeping branches on the left could also make a good comp. There’s a quality about them I like.

I like the patterns you captured, Bonnie. Very nice tonality and I like the sweeping curves. While the conversion to B&W does emphasize the form and texture. for me it also gives this a rather somber mood. I would be interested in seeing if that carried over to the color version.

Thank you @Mark_Seaver, @Igor_Doncov, and @Dennis_Plank for your thoughts. Dennis, I tried keeping this in color, but it just doesn’t work for me. I think it’s because I like the dark drama of the b&w, and that kind of contrast doesn’t appeal to me in color for this one. The day actually was rather somber - one of those flat, gray, overcast days on the coast.