Greeting the Morning

When I saw these willow branches that had been buried by the sand, and their long shadows, they looked like a group of pilgrims greeting the morning.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Any thoughts welcome. I dodged the darker shadows of the ripples, as I wanted the willow shadows to predominate. Do the ripple shadows overwhelm the willow shadows too much?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Sony a7, 24-105mm @37mm, f/16, 1/125s, ISO 640, hand held.

You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.
4 Likes

To me the shadows look good, well balanced between both the willows and ripples. The composition is well balanced too, a nice and serene little scene!

1 Like

When I am scrolling through photographs, some scenes just stop me in my tracks. This is one of them. I love this image. The vertical lines of the reeds, the angular sand ripples, and the featureless sand in the foreground all work well together. Keeping the shot in black and white is correct. I think the shot is great as is. Don’t change a thing. Wonderful work!

1 Like

Bonnie, I really like the way the ripples frame the rest of the scene and how they change from individual ripples to lines. The willow stalks and their shadows are a great addition to an already fine pattern.

1 Like

Great image as is. Very well done.

1 Like

Bonnie: This is excellent. Love the gritty texture of the sand and the sharp contrast of the reeds and shadows. Well seen, composed, captured and presented. :+1::+1:>=))>

1 Like

Thank you, gentlemen for your comments. I’m glad you like this.

Wonderful image. Love the mood it captures.

1 Like

Beautiful Bonnie! I love this as presented. I think you did a great job balancing the shadows and highlights and the reed shadows stand out just right. Outstanding work!

Lon

1 Like

I don’t think that the ripples dominate the image too much. To me it feels nicely balanced and I quite like it.

1 Like

This is exquisite with the juxtaposition of curved and straight lines, and all that texture. I don’t think the shadows of the willows are outdone by the ripples. It all works very well together.

1 Like

Beautiful, Bonnie. Excellent choice for the weekly pick and congratulations on it.

1 Like

Thanks, @Harley_Goldman. And thanks for letting me know. I don’t always have a chance to check in here - might not have noticed!