Interstellar Scum

Another oldie, from 3 years ago, and it’s taken me this long to be bold enough to process it like this, although I have to give my husband some credit. He saw the version just before this and said “ho hum, just looks like scum - needs more drama”.

I was taken initially by the way the lighter foam so gracefully fanned out above the rock, so that drove my processing decisions to darken everything but those lightest parts.

What technical feedback would you like if any? What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Anything that strikes you.

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Single frame, a7, 45mm, f/5.6, 1/90s, ISO 250, hand held. Darkened and increased saturation in various ways.

1 Like

Bonnie, this is quite beautiful was my first thought. Then I read the title and realize what it is, it is still beautifully done. I love the details in the foam and colors are great. Very nicely done.

I love this, Bonnie. I don’t know what it is and that helps my imagination. I see a night sky over a dark mountain. A Night on Bald Mountain. Originally I didn’t like the dark ‘mountain’ at the bottom as it doesn’t work with the rest of the abstract. But once I looked at it differently it made perfect sense.

Actually, mountain or no mountain, this is an excellent image. I hope the moderators reward you for this.

PS It’s also a man running. No. Actually two people running from left to right. And they’re frightened.

I could see a small crop off the top here as well.

Bonnie, you are the “Master of Pond Scum”, and I mean that as a big compliment :smile:

I’m having a hard time deciding what I like most about this image, the colors or the patterns. They both are just so intriguing. I like the inclusion of the dark black sections, they really help to create contrast with the blue/grey colors. That black mountain at the bottom anchors the image for me. I think your high contrast processing serves this image very well. :+1: :+1:

I like to dabble with photographing rocks, specifically agate and jasper slabs. The colors and patterns here remind me a lot of agate slabs.

1 Like

I quite like the image, a fine abstract. If you ever plan to try and sell a print, I might change the title to make it more universally appealing? :slight_smile: Well seen and nicely processed.

Bonnie, this is a great image of a subject I usually look at as something to be avoided in a photo. Very well seen!

I thought this was an aerial shot when I saw this image Bonnie. I think that’s a successful abstract when the viewer isn’t sure that they’re looking at but want to know more.

LIke Ed, I am really enjoying the colors of this as well as the patterns. For me, the color and lines (radial material rising from a mountain) works great as a visual metaphor for what I assume is a small scene shot from above. Great idea to capture it and process it this way.
ML

Definitely made me click the thumbnail! An interesting small scene, that could have been much bigger too! It’s full of nice textures and colorchanges.

Very well seen and processed. Best scum ever!

Thank you, @linda_mellor, @Igor_Doncov, @Ed_McGuirk, @Harley_Goldman, @Craig_Moreau, @Nathan_Klein, @Marylynne_Diggs, @Ron_Jansen, and @Bill_Pelzmann for your comments.

Igor, I would agree that some of the top is unnecessary. I usually crop to standard ratios , so I don’t have to make custom mats if I go that route. I shall have to learn to do that one of these days.

Harley, you’re right, also - I need a better title!

I wouldn’t change a thing. I think the framing is perfect, composition, colors and post processing all work together, additionally, I like the title.

Don

1 Like

Thats really cool! I think it all looks great. I would just MAYBE crop a little bit off the top if anything, it would draw more attention to the white, root-like design.

1 Like

Excellent! I like the true loss of scale; it could have been taken close up or with a drone. The mixture of colors and textures is quite the abstract.

1 Like