Intimate Badlands #1

Any and all feedback?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

I’m starting to use the TK7 Panel and luminosity masks. In this instance just some contract, a very slight vignetter and some triple play to bring out the detail. All very subtle changes as I like it as shot. Although I’m suddenly wondering if it’s soft? It was taken at 176mm but whilst looking really really close up to ensure edits are subtle that looks strange

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
You may only download this image to demonstrate post-processing techniques.

Vikki, to me it’s not soft, as much as it is lacking in contrast. Your dark tones are not dark enough for my taste. I think you could also increase the color saturation a bit here too. White Balance also gets to be a pretty personal choice too, but I could also see this shifting slightly warmer. I like the composition and your arrangement of the ridges here, you made particularly good use of the near foreground ridge.

If you don’t mind, I reworked you image to address my comments. I applied a TK Darks 1 selection to a curves adjustment layer, and pulled that curve way down to darken the dark tones. I made a TK Vibrance L4 selection, and applied it to Hue/Saturation adjustment layer, and boosted saturation +20. Applied a warming photo filter to a L2 selection (applying warming only to lights maintains some warm/cool color contrast). To me this feels crisper, primarily due to darkening the darks.

Wow @Ed_McGuirk thank-you for taking the time. I’m new to TK panels and only now starting to see the power (and improved subtlety / targeting) of luminosity masks do appreciate the suggestions. :+1:

This is a rare time where I’m going to disagree with Ed, I actually like the soft palette, it’s much like @Sarah_Marino’s style, but this is of course completely personal preference on what style you want to go for.

Also, please not the rules that you can only post one photo per day in each category, you could have put this and the other in the same post since they are very similar and would create the same conversations. Not a big deal, just a reminder!

1 Like

People often go wild with colors at Zabriskie and it’s one of the few places that it makes sense to do it. Some of the colors can look like sherbet ice cream under some light conditions. In this particular image going light makes less sense than your previous one. I would take it further than Ed here. I would give it the Tony Kuiper treatment perhaps.

1 Like

I’d never heard of Zabriskie Point or the Badlands before going so didn’t have any pre-conceived ideas in mind, which was actually really nice. Especially when it came to my draft processing. It’s great hearing everyone’s ideas and thoughts. Thanks.

I haven’t been to this location so I don’t have a frame of reference for what it looks like in person. With the image as presented I think that I like the changes that Ed proposed as it is a subtle change that adds more definition to the texture and contours of the image. Of course in images like this processing is very personal and objective depending on one’s tastes and their artistic intent.

2 Likes