Into the light

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I took this image a while ago (2018) in the UK. Actually, I still like it a lot although – strictly speaking – it has a compositional flaw. There’s no object at the end, just light (and maybe a hinted mountain). I have edited and re-edited a lot over the time.
This is the actual status and I would like to hear your feedback. Don’t hold back on critique. I can take it :wink:

Specific Feedback

How about what I described above: the absence of a real main object. Do you feel like there’s still some interest in the back?

Technical Details

Bildschirmfoto 2023-09-07 um 08.31.12

2 Likes

well done! I love the lines leading to the light.

Markus, just WOW. What a beauty.

The subject is that wonderful glow in the distance. Great photo.

Markus,

Beautiful alpine landscape. The glow in the background with the low-hanging clouds/fog work beautifully here - and as a main subject element.

Contrary Markus, I disagree. That light, the glow, that opening in the clouds IS and object - if not a subject that contributes to the success, composition. IMHO, one of those photography “rules” that should be broken… you don’t need a tree, a person, a mountain peak or lighthouse in the distance to make that near/far composition work. I think this near/far comp works as presented; full of mood and atmosphere and an image that takes the viewer right to that spot.

Of course haven’t even mentioned the beautiful foreground element(s) - The flowing water is a very strong lead-in line and the stream connects directly with the “light at the end of the tunnel.”
The rock and greenery also add greatly to the scene.

I love this as presented. My only suggestion is a personal preference - in that I don’t care for very tall narrow landscapes and could see cropping a little bit off the top; maybe not quite all the way to a 4:5 ratio, but just knocking off some height. But that is of course a personal choice and subjective at that.

Processing excellent. Love this.

Lon

Thank you, @Idan_Livni @Ben_van_der_Sande @Ronald_Murphy @Lon_Overacker

That helps me overcome my doubts! :slight_smile:

A beautiful image. Almost “Middle Earth” like.

I have no problem with the background, I think it works well.
My only suggestion would be that the rocks at the bottom of the image look a bit out of focus. I assume from depth of field. But in the rest of the image the rocks are sharp and provide a contrast to the soft flowing water. So you might want to try a slight crop at the bottom.

Will

1 Like

Sumptuous Markus, the river / stream yearns for the light and bends and twists its way toward it and the eye duly follows that path into the light, which is nestled comfortably between two hills. Everything about the picture suggests the light over the faint outline of the mountain peak is the subject and nothing else strives to usurp that status. Mission accomplished.

1 Like

There is a magic about this image. It has a story book quality about it. The river seems to flow right out of the light above the horizon. There is some rich green area that got away from you.

1 Like