Iowa Sunset + reworked

Iowa sunset +reworked

Original

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

We had been sitting at my ill brother’s bedside for most of the day. We needed a break from the stress of the ICU environment, so we took a late afternoon ride out into the lush Iowa countryside. This pond provided a peaceful place to reflect on the beauty of the hour.

Specific Feedback

General feedback is appreciated.

Technical Details

It was taken with my little Sony RX100vi. ISO 200, f/8, 1/250 sec.
Processed in LR and PS using TK9 luminosity masking to balance and enhance the color.

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:

Barb, I hope this scene brought you some peace and respite from the certain stress of your brother’s illness. I sincerely hope he will be ok. I’m glad you and your family are taking some time to replenish your soul.
I know photography surely has been vital to my mental health, especially in times of tough situations.
This is a very serene image, perfectly-framed, beautiful greens, and nice reflections of the clouds. Fine work, even when your heart was elsewhere.

Barbara, sorry about your brother. I’ve been there.

I agree with Sandy’s comments. But I think the sky and pond are too bright. I suggest selecting the light areas with a luminosity mask and bringing them down a bit.

Barbra,
Sorry to here about your brother as I have been there as well. I hope everything goes well for you and your brother along with the rest of your family. I have found that my photography is vital to my health and well being. This is a lovely peaceful scene and I hope it provides you with some peace in your stressful time.

Thanks to all of you @SandyR-B, @Don_Peters, and @Ed_Lowe for your kind, understanding remarks. You are part of the community that has eased our journey. I am glad to see my brother is showing marked improvement and we are talking about his coming home to California. My special thanks to @Don_Peters for your suggestion to darken the sky and pond. I agree it was needed. Thanks.

Beautiful serene image. Sorry to hear about your brother.

Thanks Michael, but the great news he is much better.

Great to hear.

Barbara, this is a very restful view across this pond. Your burning-in of the brighter tones adds well to the restfulness. Glad to hear that your brother is improving.

Thanks, @Mark_Seaver. I will treasure this image for all it did for us. Mother Nature soothed our spirits.

I love that you found some peace from such a wonderful evening scene and that you were able to capture it to remember what it gave you Barbara. I’m glad to hear your brother is doing much better too.

1 Like

Thank you. Your kind words warm my heart.

1 Like