Irate Great Kiskadee

I’m not sure what this guy’s problem was, but he came in and landed on this palm trunk and started harassing the universe. Unfortunately, the action was too quick to worry about getting a smoother background, so I had the light coming through the palm fronds which created the wild patterns in the background in all five shots I got of the display.

Specific Feedback Requested

Anything. Those bright background areas were close to white in the raw files, but I brought them down with a curves layer through a luminosity mask. Hopefully it was effective.

Technical Details

Sony A1, FE 200-600 + 1.4 TC @ 840 mm, monopod with Wimberley Sidekick mount, f/9, 1/640, iso 3200, manual exposure. Processed in LR & PS CC. Cropped to 6270x4548. Taken at 6:27 AM on April 19th.

1 Like

Hilarious display, very well captured! Perfect ss for the wings. He’s obviously upset about something that seems to be centered on you. Glad you survived!

The BG is fine for me, and its animated aspect fits the mood of the picture.

Great pose Dennis - that’s one angry bird. The open beak and wings really let us know that something is not right in this bird’s world. The background is alright given the action being displayed. Nice catch.

Good action shot; tells a story. I like the light coming through the wings and the colors look very natural. Nice capture.

Great action shot, Dennis. Love the wingspan.

What a great shot, Dennis! He does look like he is telling you the “what for” in every way he can, wings, mouth, every fiber of his being. I’m good with the BG.

A good shot of some lively antics. I am enjoying your Costa Rica bird images. Bringing the background whites down looks fine for this image and the odd pattern adds to the zaniness of the image.

Love it, Dennis. The expression on his face speaks for itself. Clearly he has something to say. The way you have processed the background works for me. It is subdue enough not to be distracting and yet it does, as Diane said, suits the feeling of the image very well. Great capture.

A great action/behavioral shot, Dennis! Great detail, exposure and action stopping. It’s definitely an angry bird but at 840mm, I highly doubt you were the problem. You did a good job with toning down the background and because of the bright colors of the bird, it looks just fine. Nice shot and processing!

Excellent pose. This is superb action image. Great job on the processing. I think the crop is a little tight but I’ll take it as is.