Landing Kiskadee

Going through some old stuff 2015 - I used to use only Light Room to process but now with modern tools, I am trying to improve

What technical feedback would you like if any?

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If backgrounds have been removed, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)
Used Topaz AI Sharpen - only needed a little
1/4000sec F/8 ISO 1600
600mm

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ā€˜igā€™ and leave your Instagram username below.

Hi Karl, love the landing pose you captured here and the bird is a real beauty. Nice background and interesting perch with the greenery. Wondering if this was a set up and the bird lured to the perch somehow. Very nice image.

1 Like

Yes, nice image, but your question popped into my head as well. Looks like a classic Alan Murphy workshop setup image. My apologies if Iā€™m wrong.

Sherlocks!

The set up was for a Kingfisher on a different perch when this fella showed up. I canā€™t tell you if this perch was dressed up though prior

Set ups not OK on NPN ?

Here are the specifications for what is allowed and not on the Avian Critique section. If you click on the ā€œRead the full description linkā€ you find all the details.

All images with birds as the main subject. Images of birds baited with seed, other non-live bait or recordings must be disclosed as such. Photos of captive birds taken at commercial game farms or photos taken using live bait are prohibited. Photos taken of captive birds at zoos and wildlife rehabilitation centers may be posted in the Human & Fauna Gallery - please disclose the name of the facility where the photo was taken, as well as any other information that would be of value to those interested in wildlife conservation and education.

Noted Keith - thanks

Since this is not baited I will leave it here or should this go into Avian Showcase ?

Good detail and nice landing pose. The background works well with the bird.

You can leave it here. The goal here is to have nice pictures, but full disclosure on capture techniques when it is a setup. Not saying that setups are bad or create any negative connotations, but not disclosing the full details leads people to believe this just happened in nature. Iā€™ve seen enough setup shots that they are pretty obvious.

Nice landing pose, color and detail. I would like to see the yellows perhaps one stop darker. No change in the saturation needed.

My trip with Nate Chappell to Santa Clara Ranch was just canceled because of the current pandemic. So I will not get the opportunity to photograph these birds this year in this type of environment.

Beautiful landing pose, Karl. To my eye, the yellows seem a bit brighter than I remember them, but most of them I saw were on dull days. Beautiful composition.

Hello, Karl, this images shows the bird in a nice and special way with the wing spread. Same thoughts as Keith, but that doesnā€™t interfere with the the pose which I like a lot. A bit light to my taste, but thatā€™s most likely personal. Cheers, Hans

1 Like

May be Dennis - Like you, I dont like yellow too much :slight_smile:
Sometimes when reducing the lights in TK7, the saturation increases - have to address that - thanks

How do I send a private message to you since what I have to say has nothing to do with this image

Hi Karl: In the upper right corner of the screen is an icon for you as a user. Click that, then click on the little envelope icon. That should open the Messages window. Click the New Message button and that will allow you to send a private message. Keith