Iterations

Images in order of final result to starting point: (edited by Dennis Plank)

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

I did not realize I could post only four images. I also posted them with last first thinking each that followed would be placed on top. I have two others that are one and two with one being the original from which all others were created. I will post those after 24 hours. I was just playing around with Elements and an old Canon Zoom Browser process. Each time I experimented with something else it lead to another. I didnā€™t even keep a record of the input.

Specific Feedback

Anything at all.

Technical Details

I did not record any such info, but could probably name some of the features I utilized, but not what I did.

Jim. You can go into the edit mode on your post (the little pencil icon at the bottom of your original post) and rearrange the images as well as upload more (the yellow up arrow in the tool bar). You might prefer to have this in the Abstract forum. I think youā€™d get more and better feedback. If you like that idea, edit it and let me know and Iā€™ll move it.

The first two in the series as they show up here are just awesome.

Dennis, Thanks. Still not sure how to reorganize so the order is reversed. Abstract forum is a good idea. Please move it. Unfortunately they are still in reverse order.

Jim, to rearrange the views, you will need to cut and paste the photo display information into the order that you want. That info starts with an exclamation mark and a left square bracket and ends with ā€œ.jpeg)ā€, e.g. ![ā€¦ .jpeg). It occupies two line and is separated both above and below by several blank lines. (BTW, when you upload multiple images, they show up in the order of your uploadā€¦but youā€™ve already figured that out, Iā€™m sureā€¦ :grinning:)

The first two patterns are very attractive and amazingly different in their colors. The next two, using the change to Polar Coordinates are also fun. If you enlarge the canvas and add a solid color to the edges, you can get rid of the angled, colored lines coming in from the sides. Definitely lots of fun! The wet leaf is nicely dramatic with a psychedelic lookā€¦go 70ā€™sā€¦

OK Jim. I moved the two additions up to just under the other four and put a note at the top that theyā€™re in the order of final result to starting point. I will now shift it over to Abstract.

Thank you.

Thank you.

I like #2 the most. Iā€™m assuming you want us to vote on which we like the most.

I finally got the time to really look at these closely, Jim. I donā€™t know how you ended up with it, but thereā€™s a texture in your final result that makes it look like a fabric and I find that very cool. I could see that printed on a matte or satin paper and it would look great on a low key wall. For those into more modern looks, the second one printed on metal would look utterly awesome. It looks like a mosaic of cut and polished semi-precious stones. I find the second step in your process worth saving in and of itself as well. Amazing how many pieces of art that are so different can be generated from one fairly commonplace original subject.

1 Like

I hadnā€™t intended to have votes, but good idea. Thank you for your comment and suggestion.

I intended it to look like tapestry. Thanks for recognizing it looks like fabric. Iā€™ll have a quick print on matte to see what it looks like.

Thank you Dennis for your help in arranging the images. Super creative work Jim! Itā€™s amazing to see the progression from source image to the final version you have shared.

That last image reminds so much of a Persian rug. Beautiful patterns and a true abstract since I would never have guessed the true subject. Same for the second from the top with the great colors. I could several different crops to isolate the shapes but it looks fantastic as presented. Awesome work Jim!

@Alfredo_Mora Thank you for the nice comments and @Dennis_Plank @Mark_Seaver thanks again for the help.

Just noticed this is an editorā€™s pick. Thank you so much for doing so. It is greatly appreciated.

1 Like

@Jim_Gavin, these really are cool images! The distortion tools in Photoshop are fun to use! Every time I have my car washed, I take shots with my iPhone of the spaghetti-type rags that clean the car. I then play with the images in PSā€™s various ā€œdistortā€ filters. They produce some awesome effects. Thanks for sharing these. Iā€™ll play with some natural subjects to see what can be done!

1 Like

What fun! I love the ā€˜first twoā€™ as they are showing here - I agree about looking like fabric, and also agree the second one would be wonderful on metal! Good fun to play with various tools to see what may happen. I like the others, too, but love the first two!

@brenda_tharp @Susanna_Euston Thank you for your nice words.