It's Twilight Time

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

The dunes in Death Valley are one of my favorite spots to photograph. Timing is important and I prefer sunrise and sunset which presents great color and texture to the scene. This image has no change in WB and the light was on the cool -side as the sun was just setting behind the mountains. Oh,feel free to sing along with the title!!

Specific Feedback

Any works for me

Technical Details

Sony a7RIII with 70-200 lens at 1/20 of a sec F/16

1 Like

A very nice image but I’m puzzled about the WB. The sun is obviously low and that usually gives a warm cast, not a cool one.

You say there was no change in the WB, but the raw converter has assigned one and there is no way to know it is accurate – was it an Auto correction? If so, the more monotone the image the less accurate it is. The presets are usually clumsy, too. I wonder if there is more lurking here than you (or the raw converter) have brought out. If this was at White Sands it would be less questionable, but the sand here is a tan color (and the mountains brownish) and that would pick up and emphasize any warmth of the late light.

If this was an artistic choice, it’s fine, but it sounds like you’re saying the WB is somehow accurate to the scene, and that’s what I’m questioning. There is still some direct grazing light on the sand.