Sunrise on Sand

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

This was taken at Mesquite Flat Dunes in Death Valley at sunrise. I always love how the colors of sunrise and sunset are reflected onto the sand. I have difficulty hiking, so can’t get way out on the dunes as most photographers do, but am able to get some decent shots not too far in.

Specific Feedback

All feedback is greatly appreciated.

Technical Details

1/15 sec @ f14, ISO 250

2 Likes

Chris, this is undoubtedly layers at their very best—an almost monochrome picture with bits of silver gray moving the eye through the composition. Vertical lines in the foreground interrupted by the horizontal textures also add tension that encourages further exploration of the textures in the sand. I love every bit of it.

I have been to Mequite Flat Dunes. I also could not hike very far and had to settle with even more distant shots than you have here. The sun kissed the dunes with gold rather than the lovely rose shade you have. Nature surprises us all the time.

Nicely done!! the high key image and minimal saturation is perfect-early morning light is always beautiful, but short lived

1 Like

@Barbara_Djordjevic @Jmill59 Thank you for your comments!

Chris, the subtle pink and the series of undulating curves make a great view.

@Mark_Seaver Thanks, Mark.