New Day Dawning

Sony A77
Sony 70-400G II @ 110mm
ISO 200, 1/40 @ f11
Mesquite Dunes, Death Valley NP
On our only visit to Death Valley we weren’t able to get to a lot of the park due to heavy rains and washed out roads but Mesquite Dunes was accessible and I got out a couple of times for sunrise. This was one of my favorite shots. All comments welcome. >=))>

1 Like

Bill, there’s a very inviting gentleness here with the early morning light showing off the textures in the dunes and the fine sweeping view. This makes a fascinating contrast to the stark views of dunes posted so far this week.

1 Like

Love the subtle colors in the gold yellow dune to the faint blue shadows Bill. A perfect gradient. Very nicely done>

Hey Bill…love this shot. Agree with both above comments regarding the pleasant colors and soft shadows. To augment the sense of calm, I would be tempted to lift the shadows/blacks in the ?mesquite trees/bushes? throughout the scene as they become a strong eye-magnet in an otherwise relatively low contrast scene. I’d also be tempted to clone out the one just peeking in on the R. border. Enjoying this one!

Hi Bill, the warm pastel colors are very attractive and I especially enjoy all the soft dune lines throughout. The mesquite bushes sprinkled in different spots add a lot of interest, as do the little wavy lines in the sand. I find myself wishing for a little more of the rocky background to add contrast to the sand.

I like this, Bill. You have a way with sand. I like the subtle lines and subdued shadows of this composition and the light is beautiful.

I agree. The palette is soft and so are the curves. This is such a beautiful scene!