Parting Shot

Sony A77
Sony 70-400G-II @ 280mm
ISO 100, 1/640 @ f8
Great Sand Dunes NP
I could not participate in a Sand Weekly Challenge without posting this shot I took in 2014. This was my last morning in the park and the last images I took were of the setting moon. I did post this as a B&W which I’ve regarded as one of my few successes with conversions. All comments welcome. >=))>

1 Like

Hi @Bill_Fach, I really like this image. You used a very soft palette of the golden and blue tones, so the transition works well and is very pleasing to the eye. You also did great job of getting everything in focus and sharp. The wavy lines of the sand dunes create some nice contours that lead your eye around the image. My only suggestion would have been either a slightly different comp, in order to really lead the viewers eye right up to the moon, with the lines in the sand dunes, or doing some creative dodging/burning to further emphasize a path to the moon. There’s just a couple of spots where the lines fall off and don’t complete the journey your eye takes up to that focal point. All in all, it’s a beautiful image and I actually prefer this to the B&W version you had posted. Well done!

Bill, I remember this view or one very similar. It is a dandy with the gentle shapes, textures and color in the sand contrasting with the blue sky and the moon. This is an inspirational image.

Well, it works well in color, too! Nicely framed, with the way the lines and peaks of the dunes point to the moon.

Fabulous photo Bill. Makes me wish I had been there to witness is, really wonderful capture.

Great photo. My first impression was, how about in black & white and then I saw the link to your black & white treatment which is excellent. I love the curves leading you eye up in the image

The moon adds a real nice dimension to this dune image. It turned out well.

Bill,

This image works quite well for me. The moon is placed perfectly in the frame and the Crest of the sand leads the eyes up to the top edge of the dunes. Blue sky is not oversaturated and looks good again the golden brown sand. I don’t have any nits for you so the image looks great as presented. Awesome shot…Jim

Beautiful image, Bill. the lines of the dune crests and the position of the moon are perfect.