Jordan Pond Storm

I took this image at Acadia National Park in April. I keep looking t it and I cannot put my finger on it, but there is something that bugs me about it. It could be that my wife keeps telling men that she doesn’t like it. I think she says that because she didn’t appreciate the weather that day! She’s just not a big fan of the bubble mountains. If you guys can point me in a certain direction I would really appreciate it.

Any and all critiques are welcome.

Added the reedit picture here.

I shot this with a Canon 5dsr, 16-35mm lens at 24mm f/11. Used a polarizer to eliminate glare and cut to the rocks in the water. Shutter speed at 1/2 second. ISO 250.

2 Likes

I think this is awesome! A simple and nice composition, great conditions, well processed. I had no idea Acadia could look like this. Thanks for sharing.

1 Like

This is an amazing image. You have nailed the exposure of the sky, and the tones of the setting (rising?) sun illuminating the clouds are likewise captured perfectly.

However, in my opinion, the contrast and color of the foreground rocks/water in some way makes it feel, for a lack of better description, ‘muddy’. If you are going for warmth in the foreground I think the reds are oversaturated. If you are not going for warmth in the foreground I would suggest cooling the shadows/darks – to a similar extent that the darker parts of sky look.

1 Like

Thanks for your input! Yeah I had two days with crazy clouds rolling in at this spot. I was extremely surprised that no one was there to photograph it. Because of that I was able to walk into the pond without worrying that I would get in anyones composition.

1 Like

Thank you very much for the response. It was a cold day, and I was going for a cooler tone. I will apply some cooler tone to the foreground and see where it goes from there. Again, thank you!

This is a beauty, Jose. Having been to Acadia numerous times I think the colors of the pink granite are maybe just a touch warm, but then I like my images that way. This has a wonderful depth to it and the clouds add some nice drama to the image. My only suggestion would be to clone out those darker rocks on the right side 2/3 from the bottom. Nicely done.

1 Like

Thanks for the input! Will take a look at those.

This is superb, Jose. Excellent composition and atmosphere. Your processing looks great as well. Only thought would be to cool down the color temp. In the foreground and I might clone or burn down that small bright edge of rock that’s breaking the surface.

1 Like

This is a gorgeous view of a classic spot. Not sure I have ever seen a photo of the sky looking like this there. I would echo some of the comments about cooling up the foreground a bit and it looking a little muddy. This might also complement the cooler sky at the top of the image.

1 Like

Thank you for the feedback, will definitely look into that. Thanks!

I like this image as is, with the chosen color cast.

There is a light blotch on the boulder in the lower right that draws the eye. I would eliminate that.

1 Like

The small image hides so much! I would echo the wish for a cooler image and cloning out the bright spot on the rock in the LRC. Looking at this large is a must!

1 Like

Thanks for the feedback! I will try the other color cast that has been suggested and will go from there. But I also like this version.

Thanks for taking a look at this picture in a larger version. Definitely better in a bigger version.

I love the sky, rocks, light and composition here very much, it’s very dramatic. But the image is just far too warm for my taste. Having shot here many times myself, the trees on the Bubble Mountains look like they would in October, and not how they would in April, when they are lime green. I think this shot would have more impact if you cooled it down, especially in the shadows. For the rocks, it’s the same story cool down the shadows and retain some warmth on the parts of the rocks that are receiving light. Then let the cooler shadows contrast with warm highlights in the sky.

1 Like

@Ed_McGuirk Definitely will cool it down and will post it here. Thank You for taking the time to give me some constructive criticism. Will be at work for the next couple of days, but will get back to this picture soon. By the way, your portfolio is phenomenal.

I really like the rocks in the foreground, the light on the horizon, and how the mountains in the background are the center of attention. I think the color and processing right now give it a bit of an “end-of-the-world” and slightly foreboding feel to it, which cuts into the calm sort of feeling I would prefer. I think some of that is because of the reddish cast. Just for kicks, I took it into photoshop, and found that if I take down the middle of the red curve a bit, and bring up the middle of the blue curve a bit, the red cast is minimized which makes the photo feel a bit more tranquil. The clouds in the upper part of the sky go a bit more blue, which gives it more of an atmospheric-after-the-rain-fresh kind of feel… if that makes sense.

1 Like

Thank You very much for your input Ben! I will give that a try and see where it goes. I will post the changes here again. By the way, big fan of your YT channel.

1 Like

Here is the reedited version. Now that I look at it, it almost looks like I didn’t do anything to it. But I did cooled down the foreground. If I pushed it much further it would look very off balance. The reason why it looks “muddy” is because the rocks are underwater and I failed to realize that the motion in the water would make the rocks look blurry.

2 Likes

You could try a crop at just the top of the bottom rock on the left. I think that would be good.

It’s really an excellent image which you should be proud of.