Jordan Pond

What technical feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome

What artistic feedback would you like if any?

All comments welcome

Pertinent technical details or techniques:

(If this is a composite, etc. please be honest with your techniques to help others learn)

Used a Canon 24mm tilt-shift lens, 1/2 sec @ f/13, ISO 100.

If you would like your image to be eligible for a feature on the NPN Instagram (@NaturePhotoNet), add the tag ‘ig’ and leave your Instagram username below.
1 Like

Beautiful! I love the way you used those grasses in the foreground as leading lines and the way we can see into the water in the foreground, but it goes to reflections in the distance. The only thing I’m wondering about is the white balance. It feels very cold and distant to me, even though there is a lot of warm tones on the rocks and leaves. If you want a more welcoming feel, perhaps warming it up a bit would be warranted. If not, then it’s wonderful as is.

Hi Doug, Like @Bonnie_Lampley said, I quite like the use of the grasses in the foreground to bring you ion and then the sweep of rocks from the left moving towards the mountain. That said it comes accorss as slightly messy with the muddy rocks to the left (the ones under the water).

I would also agree with her that the image is quite cold. A lot of the elements, especially in the greens have a lot of blue to them. I would try setting a neutral WB and work from there. I would also adjust the HSL channels to bring some of the oranges/yellows/reds out a bit more.

From what I can tell it was quite a windy day and can see movement in the clouds and the bush on the right. To my eye the very background is out of focus. I can also pick up on some artefacting around the hills and clouds in the background. This mat be from controlling highlights but can’t be sure.

Hope that helps.

Eugene

When the water level at Jordan Pond gets this low, it makes it harder to find pleasing foregrounds. However, despite these tough water conditions, I think you did pretty well by concentrating on the fallen leaves in the foreground. I like how the fall color in the trees on the far shore is an echo of the color in the foreground autumn leaves.

My nit with this image is white balance. The WB of of the foreground rocks, leaves and grass looks natural for autumn. This does look like the colors of the pink granite at Acadia. But for my taste I wish there was a better balance between the cool WB in the top of the image, and the warmer foreground. The fog near the Bubbles I would expect to see a cooler WB. But the cool WB on the opposite shore in the ULC looks a little jarring relative to the warm WB on the right shore. I would warm up the left shore some. To me the more distant and foggy it is, the cooler it should be, and vice versa.