Joshua Tree on film

Critique Style Requested: Standard

The photographer is looking for generalized feedback about the aesthetic and technical qualities of their image.

Description

A cloudless, medium temperature Spring day at Joshua Tree National Park. A friend and I are doing an experiment to compare two brands of film development chemicals: Kodak HC-110 vs. Rodinal.
We took a few images of the same scene with the same TLR camera and same 120mm B&W film. I used the Rodinal developer which is known for showing strong, well-defined grain. We haven’t compared images yet, but I do like the look of these in this sandy, gritty environment!

Specific Feedback

Would appreciate comments about the compositions. I find it difficult out there, and I’m wondering if viewing the scene in reverse through the waist-level viewfinder throws me off and actually helps me with composition!

Do you like this triptych combination and layout? I think the layout could be improved if the image on the right were reversed (ha ha!, like I saw it in the TLR’s viewfinder!), with the big boulders coming from the right edge of the frame. But I’ve retained the original scene.

I hand-held the camera, so there is some blur. Next time I won’t be so lazy and will use a tripod!

Technical Details

Camera: Yashica Mat-124G medium format twin lens reflex (TLR)
Lens: 80mm (equivalent to 44mm in a 35mm camera)
B&W Film: Ilford FP4+ (ISO 125), 120mm
Developer: Rodinal, 9 mins/20 degrees C
Scanned with Nikon D750 and 60mm macro lens

F16, 1/125, ISO 125, hand-held. Yellow filter.

Lightroom for cropping, contrast, and vignette. Photoshop for some SmartSharpen

Critique Template

Use of the template is optional, but it can help spark ideas.

• Vision and Purpose:
  • Conceptual:
  • Emotional Impact and Mood:
  • Composition:
  • Balance and Visual Weight:
  • Depth and Dimension:
  • Color:
  • Lighting:
  • Processing:
  • Technical:
1 Like

Mark…Black & White Film ?.. :clown_face: Way to go… :+1: :+1:
The triptych combo works just fine and does not make for too much viewing overall. My preference of the 3 scenes is defiantly number 2… :sunglasses:
I can’t comment on the chemical processing procedures at all as I only use color transparency and that is professionally processed… :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
A big :+1:for going full on basic analog here. No doubt the tripod is a BIG NEED for usage no matter what…otherwise good to go.

1 Like

Wow Mark. Impressive experiment and analog approach. Very Ansel Adams of you! I don’t have any analog experience, so can’t comment on that part, but the triptych does work well. I would definitely reverse the third image so it’s leading the viewer back into the trio, offering a framing of sorts.

1 Like

@Paul_Breitkreuz and @connie4 , Thanks for taking a look and sharing your thoughts! Paul, yup, B&W film. I’ve edited the post to make that clear. the 2nd is my favorite too. Connie, I’ve been enjoying the challenge of film photography. It definitely makes me think about exposure and composition more. And it’s fun!